Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

White specs from driving over winter???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default White specs from driving over winter???

Hey,

After driving a car through winter in Wisconsin, it has lots of small white specs on the bumper and hood. So far, the only way they've come off easily is by using my nail to scratch them off. G10 Polishing compounding didn't really get it off either, just got rid of the scratch from my nail.

Any idea what it is, or what to do to get it off? If a clay bar is used, is it possible to get too dirty to fast?

I'll try to get pictures in the next few days.

Last edited by TransAm12sec; 03-24-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh god I've got the white specks as well. Irritates the hell out of me. I'm thinking they could be flakes of paint from the road.

Give the claybar a try. I managed to get a few of them off with my claybars but they got so dirty I was afraid to keep using them, so I've still got a lot of specks.

I'm thinking of just paying to have my car professionally detailed. It's a PITA to detail your car while sitting in a damn gravel driveway.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

claybar should remove them easily...it's probably liquid salt/ice remover from the roads...imagine what the underside of yur car looks like
Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddys mach1 had the same problem when he brought it in for me to detail. I thought it was salt from the roads over the winter so I claybarred it and nothing came off ....it ended up being white line paint from the roads. I had to bring out the buffer for that job lol......it can't hurt to try to clean it off w/ a claybar though. gl
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I was told it was overspray, but I have no idea when someone was painting by the car.

I clayed a small area, and it came out with a little extra elbow grease. Now I just need to find time to do the entire hood/bumper, so I can wax it after.

I rinsed the body and under body weekly over winter to get the salt off. The specs are most prevalent on the front bumper, and occurs less and less closer to the windshield.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Claybars can remove overspray easily with a little time and work...I did an entire junkyard fender that had red overspray all over it...claybarred the **** out of it, waxed it, and it looks like new...it's hanging on my basement wall in fact

Quick Reply: White specs from driving over winter???