PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 5.3 harness with 02 Camaro ECU ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 5.3 harness with 02 Camaro ECU ?

Hey guys,

I posted this in the Conversions/Swaps section but thought might try here too:

Been asking a few shops this and keep getting conflicting information.
I am in the process of installing a 5.3 L33 into a Mazda Miata and need to convert the engine to a cable tb from the drive by wire setup since the truck dbw throttle body is a little taller and hits the hood. The engine I purchased came with its harness and ecu and I am using a LS6 intake manifold. However I did not get the TAC module or gas pedal with the engine so this another reason I was looking at using the cable tb, less parts to buy.

Instead of buying another harness, could I re-use the truck 5.3 harness with a Camaro computer? I don't mind doing some re-wiring that would be needed but would rather not spend more on buying another harness if possible.

Or could I use the 05 Silverado ecu and reprogram it to control cable tb?
I have read that not all 2005 computers have the hardware to drive the IAC on the cable throttle body.

The ECU I have from the Silverado has these ids:
SVC:12589463
HW: 12589162

What has also been suggested is using a LS2 dbw tb and gto gas pedal but would it work with the 5.3 ecu?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 984mulals1
Hey guys,
...installing a 5.3 L33 into a Mazda Miata and need to convert the engine to a cable tb...

...Instead of buying another harness, could I re-use the truck 5.3 harness with a Camaro computer?
yes. the red/blue P01 and green/blue P59 boxes have compatible pinouts. use either one (properly programmed of course). the red and green PCM connector sleeves are keyed differently so you can shave the notches or swap the sleeves.

Or could I use the 05 Silverado ecu and reprogram it to control cable tb?
can do that too.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vectorbundle
yes. the red/blue P01 and green/blue P59 boxes have compatible pinouts. use either one (properly programmed of course). the red and green PCM connector sleeves are keyed differently so you can shave the notches or swap the sleeves.

can do that too.
Don't take this personal...You have no idea what you are talking about. Having done many LSx swaps at our shop, we recently have been working with a gentleman that has a 69 Camaro with a 2005 5.3 out of an Acadia.

The donor setup was a complete pull out of a wreck. TAC module, Pedal assembly, harness, 1MB pcm, motor. He had TAC/Pedal assembly issues (the pedal assy turned out to be bad) and at one point pondered having us just swap to a cable driven setup.

There are 41 wires on the main engine harness that need to be swapped. One also has to delete the unused associated TAC/Pedal assembly wiring.

There was only 1 USA production vehicle that had a 1MB pcm with an IAC driver on the mainboard. That vehicle was the Ponitac 2004 GTO. All other US production (2004-2006) vehicles that came with 1MB pcm's were fly by wire-GM got cheap and didn't include the IAC driver to save money.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Doc
Don't take this personal...You have no idea what you are talking about. Having done many LSx swaps at our shop, we recently have been working with a gentleman that has a 69 Camaro with a 2005 5.3 out of an Acadia.

The donor setup was a complete pull out of a wreck. TAC module, Pedal assembly, harness, 1MB pcm, motor. He had TAC/Pedal assembly issues (the pedal assy turned out to be bad) and at one point pondered having us just swap to a cable driven setup.

There are 41 wires on the main engine harness that need to be swapped. One also has to delete the unused associated TAC/Pedal assembly wiring.

There was only 1 USA production vehicle that had a 1MB pcm with an IAC driver on the mainboard. That vehicle was the Ponitac 2004 GTO. All other US production (2004-2006) vehicles that came with 1MB pcm's were fly by wire-GM got cheap and didn't include the IAC driver to save money.
ok, well... then you shouldn't take it personal(ly) either when i also tell you you don't know what you are talking about. and maybe you should learn some manners.

i don't work on the harnesses, i only program ECMs. obviously it is understood that all extraneous wires will be stripped from the harness for a SWAP. the key pins to run the engine and trans will be in same position to be run with a red/blue or green/blue ECM. it's been done. he CAN easily set this up with the truck harness that he has.

as for the DBW/DBC PCM thing. i never had a problem switching DBW to DBC with same ECM *AND* base program. all i do is switch the ETC option off (i.e., you just change a stupid 1 to a 0 if you know where it is). you claim the only 1MB P59 box that supports DBC is the one in the 04 GTO? ok then...

for example, here is a file from a 2006 P59 ECM which was originally DBW and i changed it to DBC: 06_DBC.

so... this is not a file from the 04 GTO PCM that you just claimed was the ONLY 1MB that supports DBC, is it? no. it is clearly a truck file from an 06 P59 ECM. and yeah, the DBC works no problem. i emailed the guy the file, he flashed it in, fired right up, throttle miraculously worked, imagine that...

don't know which particular ECMs don't have the IAC drivers, i heard that one before, but you are wrong the GTO box is the only one. and, as i said i have done it on several truck files w/o a problem so far. until i get one that doesn't work all i see is a software obstruction.

but hey, i don't know what i am talking about. so by all means enjoy swapping a 6243 GTO ECM into every setup of your truck engine swap customers who wants DBC. or maybe just tell them they should stick with DBW bc YOU can't make DBC work with the ECM they got

Last edited by vectorbundle; 03-28-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Default 81el camino

Originally Posted by vectorbundle
ok, well... then you shouldn't take it personal(ly) either when i also tell you you don't know what you are talking about. and maybe you should learn some manners.

i don't work on the harnesses, i only program ECMs. obviously it is understood that all extraneous wires will be stripped from the harness for a SWAP. the key pins to run the engine and trans will be in same position to be run with a red/blue or green/blue ECM. it's been done. he CAN easily set this up with the truck harness that he has.

as for the DBW/DBC PCM thing. i never had a problem switching DBW to DBCko with same ECM *AND* base program. all i do is switch the ETC option off (i.e., you just change a stupid 1 to a 0 if you know where it is). you claim the only 1MB P59 box that supports DBC is the one in the 04 GTO? ok then...

for example, here is a file from a 2006 P59 ECM which was originally DBW and i changed it to DBC: 06_DBC.

so... this is not a file from the 04 GTO PCM that you just claimed was the ONLY 1MB that supports DBC, is it? no. it is clearly a truck file from an 06 P59 ECM. and yeah, the DBC works no problem. i emailed the guy the file, he flashed it in, fired right up, throttle miraculously worked, imagine that...

don't know which particular ECMs don't have the IAC drivers, i heard that one before, but you are wrong the GTO box is the only one. and, as i said i have done it on several truck files w/o a problem so far. until i get one that doesn't work all i see is a software obstruction.

but hey, i don't know what i am talking about. so by all means enjoy swapping a 6243 GTO ECM into every setup of your truck engine swap customers who wants DBC. or maybe just tell them they should stick with DBW bc YOU can't make DBC work with the ECM they got
Im putting a 2008 5.3l in my el camino I just need to know what pedal I can use in my car that will fit the silverado truck pedal is to big for.my car what can I use that smaller and that will be compatible with that engine tb.

Quick Reply: 05 5.3 harness with 02 Camaro ECU ?