Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Had a little run in the other day

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a little run in the other day

With a tire someone lost on the freeway And let me tell you, I dont think Ive ever seen a tire bounce so high and far all at once.

Anyway. Got a couple estimates, and $500 is pretty much the number being thrown at me. $300 for a guy that does body work at his house on the side. Im not sittin on those funds right now, so that leaves me one option...

I tackle this myself. DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!

Im not looking to make it factory perfect again, just not so noticeable. Anyone have some tricks I can use to try and tap this thing back into somewhat factory lines?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dent pro a company around here that my buddy works at go from the backside and pushes it out till it looks good they use a tool kinda like a screwdriver to get out the small parts that might work. and there's the infamous blow torch heat up the dent then put dry ice on it and it pops it out but i here it chips paint and i have never seen it done so idk if i would do that but there's two ideas
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Pretty much how I was planning on trying to do it. I was gonna start in the middle and work my way outward, and just take my time and hope for the best.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

work from the outside aera of the dent to the center. Heat and dry ice is not a good idea. When you work from the back side be sure to finish any scratches so it will not corrode.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry but a pdr guy isnt getting that out, look at the back of the bed side, its bent out of shape, 500 bucks is cheap almost to cheap keep looking for another estiamte, thats about 6-7 hour dent, plus all the R&I work and body labor and paint labor

im guessing more of close to 1,000 for a good quality repair
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

i would do it for 500 if i was burning it on the body line
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Just use your hand and smack it from the back side with your palm, most of it should pop out leaving only the smaller spots were it kinked. If you can't get it with that carefully tap on it with a rubber mallet. And I would definatly do a quality fix for $500 at my shop.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bdyman
sorry but a pdr guy isnt getting that out, look at the back of the bed side, its bent out of shape, 500 bucks is cheap almost to cheap keep looking for another estiamte, thats about 6-7 hour dent, plus all the R&I work and body labor and paint labor

im guessing more of close to 1,000 for a good quality repair
Well seeing as I dont really know much about body work, I didnt know it was above PDR repair. Know I know.

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
Just use your hand and smack it from the back side with your palm, most of it should pop out leaving only the smaller spots were it kinked. If you can't get it with that carefully tap on it with a rubber mallet. And I would definatly do a quality fix for $500 at my shop.
So the Judo palm smack would be better than trying to work it out slowly from the outside or inside?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Used this for about 30 minutes..

And ended up with this...

Its not perfect, but it doesnt stand out nearly as bad, and the cost was just right.