Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help painting side decals

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help painting side decals

I have a 98 white ta and I want to paint the side Trans Am decals black. Is it easier for me to take them of and do it myself??? Or buy some for 20 bucks
Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

i just painted my silver letters black. its not a big deal at all if you're patient. i used Krylon gloss black and it seems to really be holding up, even to power washers. i believe this is partly due to the fact that i lightly sandblasted all the letters down to bare plastic. anyway, use the fishing line method to remove the letters and remove most of the glue. i saw most because you will want some "edging" to be there for when you put them back on so they are lined up correctly. clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol, again, leave just enough so you can line them up again, and use 3M emblem glue to glue them back on. here's a shot of mine right after the glue was applied. all the edging has been fixed since they dried and they look great now. of course the only chip i have in my paint is in the close up i took of the emblems
Attached Thumbnails Help painting side decals-img_0864.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info, Ill post pics when I get around to doing it. Also I noticed you took off the side door gaurds how do you like that look with out them?

Last edited by RedLed; 04-26-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

It took a little while to get used to it, but I'm glad I did it. To me, it just seems to make it flow a lot better, and I feel it just looks a little more refined.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Heres the finished project it was actually really easy. It took longer for the paint to dry than it did to take them off and on. I also painted the back letters in black. Thanks for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails Help painting side decals-transam1.jpg   Help painting side decals-transam2blackout.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i painted mine it was Z28 but now its laying under my bed lool didnt get to put them back
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedLed
Heres the finished project it was actually really easy. It took longer for the paint to dry than it did to take them off and on. I also painted the back letters in black. Thanks for all your help.
looks good! how did you paint the pontiac lettering?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Teching In

It took some time and alot of little pieces of tape around all the letters then I just put trash bags to cover the back. I had a little overspray because the back letters are rounded so I took a little paint thinner to clean the edges of the letters.

Last edited by RedLed; 04-27-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Help painting side decals