Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dayton Reference Series RS-180 review

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dayton Reference Series RS-180 review

So I do a lot of shopping for home audio speaker components on a vendor site that isn't a sponsor of LS1TECH, so I won't name names other than if you google "Dayton RS-180" then it will be the first listing to show up.

Anyway, I figured I'd try out the Dayton Reference series for my sail panels and hatch speakers to see if they would work well in a car. I'd used a reference 7" 8 ohm reference series for my bookshelf speakers and they sound amazing. Very tight and even deep bass plus these things get loud and are extremely clear! I'm running them off of the stock amp at the moment but my Kicker 550.3 should be in before too long. I plan on staying with the stock head unit for the sake of looking stock.

I bought the 4 ohm variant of the Reference series which have a cast and very sturdy frame, look very good and have a good spec sheet. All I can say is that they sound incredible and I would recommend these speakers to anyone. These aren't really your average run of the mill car audio speakers... I believe them to be of much higher quality. They actually sound a great deal better than the polk 6.5" mid-woofers in the doors (I got them for free), but they blend very well together.

Honestly, for the money ( $45 per woofer for the 7" Reference RS-180 and $26 per woofer/fullrange for the rs-100), I'm convinced you can't buy a better speaker.... excellent budget speakers or even non-budget, they're just damn good speakers.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

How do these compare to the peerless they sell?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

well, if you're solely looking at price then the Peerless 835004 SDS 6-1/2" Woofer @ 4 Ohm beats anything else by a long shot... it's $10 haha. But as far as specs, the rs-180 seems as though it will go lower and is just about as efficient... possibly will do better in the mid-range but the Peerless is going to go higher. I wanted a bit more bass since I've got a component set in the doors which provides plenty of full-range sound plus I've got a full-range in the hatch panels - this will add a little extra punch to my music on top of what the CVR-10 is going to provide.

Quick Reply: Dayton Reference Series RS-180 review