Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

DIY Intake, anyone try pvc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Intake, anyone try pvc?

Posted this on the other forum, trying to do it tommorow though, hoping to get some feedback quickly.

Was just thinking about it while reading one of the DIY intake threads, metal is bad (running that now) due to heat soak, the stock tube (squeeze tube) doesn't flow as well....so why not some pvc pipe from home depot...what is it 3.75 ID? that's still better than the squeeze tube, or is it 4" ID? either way, anyone tried it? I may give it a shot tommorow.

Schedule 80 3.5in. pvc pipe has an OD of 4" and ID of 3.326 .....is that larger than stock? Dunno don't have my stock pipe anymore, so anyone mind measuring?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking the same thing using PVC, only thing i thought about was usually the walls are pretty thick and you have a larger diameter tube which will make you lose some actualy opening size. I dont think there is a lot of room anyways but it may be a minimal loss and still worth doing.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Why not just find a used kit on ebay or on here when it pops up for sale?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

i boguth my K&N on ebay for 250 shipped and they are still on there, even if you dont gaina ton its still worth it for looks and sounds, plus my tuner said he believes it did pick up about 10hp from it, he did just a filter on his stock tube and picked that much up on his 04.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... biggest gain comes from the open filter obviously but the rest looks nice and im sure there is an advantage to the straight tube over the rubber stock tube with the bends and stuff in it.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Research the material before using it. PVC plastic releases toxic fumes when it gets hot. Aluminum tubing is probably the worst metal to use for an intake since it will suck up the engine bay heat like a sponge. If you can find ABS in the appropriate size, go for it. Otherwise, use stainless and insulate it.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Research the material before using it. PVC plastic releases toxic fumes when it gets hot. Aluminum tubing is probably the worst metal to use for an intake since it will suck up the engine bay heat like a sponge. If you can find ABS in the appropriate size, go for it. Otherwise, use stainless and insulate it.
Tests have been done and have proven that the tiny pc of aluminum or metal has little to no effect on performance. The air passes through that tiny section so fast it doesnt have time to pass the heat into the air. Biggest heat related problem is an open element filter, you have to have something to deflect the heat(heat shield) away from the actual filter.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

PVC ON A CADDY....GTFO! what next? cant afford rims? ya want nice hub caps???

yeah Iam a newbie but ****...get real mang....
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont think hes doing it because he cant afford it, i always go with the motto, if it works then why not, im sure if you paint it itll look good and youll never know what it is anyways. If he puts it on with the letters and **** printed on the side and leaves it white, id be like come on man paint it lol. If he was connecting the tube to the throttle body with just duct tape itd be a different story lol.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Tests have been done and have proven that the tiny pc of aluminum or metal has little to no effect on performance. The air passes through that tiny section so fast it doesnt have time to pass the heat into the air. Biggest heat related problem is an open element filter, you have to have something to deflect the heat(heat shield) away from the actual filter.
I posted this on the other forum but its not the first time I have heard it either...
Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

It is pretty getto sounding (IMO)
Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ ya it is, I'm content with my metal tube now, just hard to justify 250$ on a k&n...prolly end up getting one sooner or later.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

I must be in the wrong Forum, this must be a Civic or Wrangler forum....my bad
Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes you are in the wrong forum

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...on-forum-2003/

you'll fit in nicely with the rest of 6 bangers.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

I made my own out of aluminum with the mindest of the air flowing though it and not really being it in long enough to have negative effects from the heat. I did have my intake tube powdercoated to match the car though. I would doubt that did anything to help lower the temps but I have done a few long drives and opened the hood after to see how hot the tube was and really was pretty surprised at it being not really that hot. Who knows though, could be placebo.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs down

for my opinion dont do it just get something even if its supper cheap did one pvc on a friends and looked like it cheap pvc even painted black paint keeps flaking off and there was a smell bleeding off the pipe all the time he would be embarrassed to open his hood too just my opinion though
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I feel like I did gain some once the car was tuned with a K&N CAI, only reason I could imagine picking up 33rwhp just from a tune, All I had at the time was that and muffler delete.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

look for some polymer plastic tubing or so. i put a kn filter on the end of mine, now i just need to fabricate a heat shield that will look nice.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

nothing wrong with trying new things. ****, if it doesnt work out then just go back to what you had, and you didnt spend a whole lot trying it...whats so wrong with that. people have been bashed for cutting springs (including me), **** i think my car looks great on my cut springs and it rides real good. there was a guy who made a heat shield out of a garbage can. when i first saw the thread i was like "WTF"...after looking at it and reading up on what he did, it wasnt bad at all. i give props to those who try new things!

ok im done..lol
Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

oh, can some one direct me to a website where i can get the polyurethane tubing (the 90 degree tube that connects the manifold and the pipe, etc). i been wanting to build my own intake but cannot find a damn website with this stuff and i dont know what it is that i need

Quick Reply: DIY Intake, anyone try pvc?