Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tail shaft seal / gasket questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tail shaft seal / gasket questions.

So I searched around here and LS1 GTO for a while and couldn't find any info on this.

I have a 04 GTO T56 in my car and replaced the tail shaft seal due to a leak. After popping the stock one off it is a little different then the fbody one I bought. The factory one looks like the seal with dust boot build in. I installed the new one with no dust boot. I could not find anything for an 04 GTO tail shaft seal to check part numbers or pic's. Anyone know the if I will run into any issues?

Second question.. I now don't think my tail shaft seal is leaking. It looks like it might be coming from where the tail shaft housing meets the transmission. How typical is this? The trans only has around 30k on it. Also installed a shifter gasket so I know it's not coming down from there. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Most aftermarket seals won't have the dust boot. No major problem. The factory dust boot seal is about 5x the cost anyway.

If the trans hasn't been apart, it's not common for leaks to spring up in the case seals. Check your vent line, it can crack and leak fluid down and around in that same general area.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Launching!

It does not appear to come from the vent tube. If the car is sitting it does not leak. I think it is coming from the bottom of that gasket. I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic fluid. Should I maybe use something else? I really don't want to remove the tail shaft. I also do not see any cracks.. but I doubt I could see a hairline crack.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSmoked1
. If the car is sitting it does not leak.
I think that's the clue that it is coming from the vent tube and not the seal. That seal is covered in fluid when sitting and a bad seal would show up when sitting.. (Another common leak area is the top 2 bolts to the tailhousing. They need to have thread seal on them when installed since they break into the shift-guide area of the trans)
Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Launching!

It's the tail shaft gasket. The vent tube is completely dry and intact. I put a small amount of black rtv in the crack and fluid just slowly seeps through.

What are some of the causes of this? I only put 400 easy miles on the trans since installed. Previous owner is a pretty reputable guy and said it never leaked a drop.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Check the tailhousing bolts TQ. Should be 26lb-ft on each. If it was cleaned, RTV'd and TQ'd to spec, there's no reason it should leak.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's the tail shaft gasket. The vent tube is completely dry and intact. I put a small amount of black rtv in the crack and fluid just slowly seeps through.
on which crack?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
on which crack?
The space between the tail shaft and the transmission case. You can see the gasket on the bottom where it is leaking,
Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Launching!

I can't find anything on here about the tail shaft / tail housing gasket. Just use a healthy coat of RTV to seal it? No gasket?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Got the tail shaft off. There was no gasket... apparently they use black RTV from the factory? Its also on all the bolts.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Correct. That would be nice if it's that simple a fix for you.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

I can't find anything on here about the tail shaft / tail housing gasket. Just use a healthy coat of RTV to seal it? No gasket?
Don't use "Healthy" as a synonym for "bead", "glob", "smear" or anything else implying that you need more than a thin skin. I've torn into too many T56s with RTV globs that oozed out inside, broke off, then pulverized all the blocker rings.. The case is a machined surface and with the bolt TQ, you only need the slightest amount to seal it from leaking..
Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Don't use "Healthy" as a synonym for "bead", "glob", "smear" or anything else implying that you need more than a thin skin. I've torn into too many T56s with RTV globs that oozed out inside, broke off, then pulverized all the blocker rings.. The case is a machined surface and with the bolt TQ, you only need the slightest amount to seal it from leaking..
I put a thin coat on. Some did ooze out when I torqued the bolts down. I hope it is not too much to cause any damage. I'm going to add fluid tomorrow so the RTV has time to dry.

When I tightened the drain plug I heard a small crack noise and sure enough put a small crack right on the bottom of the housing. I didn't clean the old red seal off the plug and I guess it put too much pressure on the housing.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Wow. You must have had an assistant standing on your feet so that you could apply that much torque to the drain.

See the recent thread in here about the worth of a tailhousing. (I'd like to buy it to do mechanical speedo but you need one; I don't....)
Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
Wow. You must have had an assistant standing on your feet so that you could apply that much torque to the drain.

See the recent thread in here about the worth of a tailhousing. (I'd like to buy it to do mechanical speedo but you need one; I don't....)
The drain plug covers the hairline crack. No leaks.

Added 4 qts of dex 3 and took it for a ride. No leaks SO FAR. Normally the bottom of the tail shaft would be coated in fluid. We will see after a few more miles.

Quick Reply: Tail shaft seal / gasket questions.