Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

PLEASE HELP, bad vibration and banging on 1/2 throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP, bad vibration and banging on 1/2 throttle.

As title says, I'm very pissed off, I need to drive the car tomorrow night to school and any ideas would help. It started doing this today going to college, I went 1/2 throttle and it immediately had small banging and harsh vibration...doesn't do it driving regular, I'm scared to do anything over 1/2 throttle because it feels like something will break.

I first felt like it was the rear but it might be the transmission.

Checked diff oil, fine, checked panhard and LCA's, and they were tight, exhaust isn't hitting driveshaft. After checking all that I drove around the block and it did a banging sound on a shift like something loose on the chassis and had real bad vibration resonating through the chassis. Please help.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds similar to when my buddy had his transmission mount break.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

bad trans mount,poly trans mount,spherical TQ arm ends...... one of em can cause it.... investigate
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I checked the tranny mount and it doesn't seem to be it, I tried jacking the tranny up slightly to see if there was play in the mount but there wasn't. I took some pictures of it too.

I tried driving it again and it seems like the deep tone vibration is worse with 1/4-1/2 throttle turning right, seems more to the rear of the car. I wish this could have happened in two weeks because I don't need the car during summer. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails PLEASE HELP, bad vibration and banging on 1/2 throttle.-img_2328.jpg   PLEASE HELP, bad vibration and banging on 1/2 throttle.-img_2333.jpg   PLEASE HELP, bad vibration and banging on 1/2 throttle.-img_2331.jpg   PLEASE HELP, bad vibration and banging on 1/2 throttle.-img_2324.jpg   PLEASE HELP, bad vibration and banging on 1/2 throttle.-img_2334.jpg  

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Checked panhard which I changed a couple days ago, torque arm lower bolts, and LCAs. Tranny mount, tranny fluid, rear end fluid, u-joints, lugnuts. Looked for marks or scrapes. Exhaust not hitting anything.

Tightened the panhard bolts about a full turn on both sides and greased up the bushings more and it seems like it isn't as bad now. Doesn't do it in straight line, just turns now. I definately exaggerated the sound from the time it was happening to the time I wrote the OP.

Last edited by camz28arro; 04-21-2010 at 08:46 PM.