General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition relay in 2000 LSI Camaro, did this site ever find the fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition relay in 2000 LSI Camaro, did this site ever find the fix?

Yes, my Camaro intermittently turns off when driving normal due to the ING relay under the hood blowing. I replaced it with the fan relay and was able to get it home.

Today it blew again with a brand new relay!

I also noticed the fuses on the drivers door, the PCM IGN has a 1 amp fuse, not as the stickers says, 10A.

Did the previous owner try to make the fuse blow first to avoid the monthly $60 relay hit?

The car is due for a new battery and I will check and secure all grounds, any thing else?

I know what is failing and I told the GM garage this, and they want to charge me hours of labor to make it do it again,,,, what that going to tell them? What’s blowing the relay????

Thanks friends!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Default :( Nothing.......

Nothing.......

Seriously, nobody had to diagnose a similar problem?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

this should be really easy....the relay blows because the coil is supposed to "x" resistance. Relays use different resistance (coil) depending on what kind of voltage they operate at. Fuses are always supposed to be rated lower than what it would take to destroy the actual component. I can tell you right now that Ive never seen a relay coil ever that required 10 amps to operate so that fuse is not solely for the relay.

But back to your problem...There is no need to check any grounds because if one was bad the relay wouldnt work at all...let alone let enough current through to blow it up. There really are only a few things that could cause this problem (if you know for sure the relay coil is actually blown...ohm out the coil pins on the relay and report back.). Either you have an over voltage issue or the coil resistance is to low (a relay that looks identicle but is not of the correct values.)

Honestly though I think your more likely having a problem with the contacts in the relay rather than the coil (my guess). Something in that system (probably tied to your 10amp breaker) is drawing more current than the contacts are rated for causing them to arc and burn up. The only way to know is ohm the coil, normally closed contacts and if the coil checks good, jump the relay to the battery ground and voltage and check the normally open contacts. You should then be able to isolate the problem.

Last edited by BOA279; 05-06-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Got the same issue... What is the fix?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone ever figure anything out for this?

Quick Reply: Ignition relay in 2000 LSI Camaro, did this site ever find the fix?