Houston area info needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Houston area info needed?

Well guys i am getting out of the Army the end of September. I need some stability for my family. I have never been anywhere in texas besides Dallas for a day. I am wanting to find an apartment in a decent neighborhood. I am trying to get hired with HPD, i know the whole police thing may not be popular on the car boards. I am currently an MP and looking to get in to civilian Law enforcement or protection work. I am just looking for generic info from you guys as far as reccomendations of where to not buy a house, good school zones. I am flying there early october to scout out the area before i relocate my family there. Thanks Guys
Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

For me the first place i would start is in the Woodlands area, following that would be Freindswood , Baywood oaks , Sugarland area off of highway 6 & 59. These are definately the better parts of town.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Launching!

I would say Woodlands too, and then Spring or Tomball.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nah screw HPD, too much crap to deal with. look into league city, pearland, friendswood, webster PD's. my dads neighbor just retired from HPD and a guy i'm in the reserves with is HPD. and hearing the stuff they have to deal with i would NOT be a big city cop. screeeeew that.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
nah screw HPD, too much crap to deal with. look into league city, pearland, friendswood, webster PD's. my dads neighbor just retired from HPD and a guy i'm in the reserves with is HPD. and hearing the stuff they have to deal with i would NOT be a big city cop. screeeeew that.
and the new mayor is wanting to cut back hpd's overtime since last year they overtime bill for hpd alone was 67 million dollars. Most guys rely on overtime to survive since base pay isnt that great.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

and i know for sure that LCPD's base pay is more than HPD's.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

yeah here we go.

look down the page a ways.
http://www.houstontx.gov/police/careers.htm

vs

http://www.leaguecity.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2076

**** houston. they dont make NEAR enough to put up with all the bullshit.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
and the new mayor is wanting to cut back hpd's overtime since last year they overtime bill for hpd alone was 67 million dollars. Most guys rely on overtime to survive since base pay isnt that great.
Yeah, and I wonder into what jackass programs she's going to fund more money. Crime doesn't take a vacation or not work overtime.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Yeah, and I wonder into what jackass programs she's going to fund more money. Crime doesn't take a vacation or not work overtime.
I agree man. She is pissing alot of people off. You heard about her trying to raise retired city workers insurance rates.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by armymp1983
Well guys i am getting out of the Army the end of September. I need some stability for my family. I have never been anywhere in texas besides Dallas for a day. I am wanting to find an apartment in a decent neighborhood. I am trying to get hired with HPD, i know the whole police thing may not be popular on the car boards. I am currently an MP and looking to get in to civilian Law enforcement or protection work. I am just looking for generic info from you guys as far as reccomendations of where to not buy a house, good school zones. I am flying there early october to scout out the area before i relocate my family there. Thanks Guys
I vote for The Woodlands too. Very nice area. There was recently a robbery in the mall parking lot and it was such a big deal because something like that never happens here. You'd tell someone, and they would say, "Really? In The Woodlands?" It's one of those places.

Congrats on getting out. How long were you in? I just finished by 8 years last month.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we just moved from Katy to Spring and love it. A little more redneck... but that's us.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

Spring, Katy, Tomball, Cypress, Woodlands, Kingwood, Friendswood, Sugarland, Pearland areas are all nice places to live. I agree on the HPD sentiment and have a uncle that left the force several years ago, he feels like they have been neutered, starting with former Mayor Brown. Now we have a lesbo in running things, it is bound to get worse for the PD.... In any event, good luck man!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

friedswood is a nice area and u still around big things , also sugarland like they said pearland has some real nice new neighborhoods . if u like country buy some land and hit up alvin lol NOTHING ever happens around here lol , and alvin high school is one of the biggest in texas and has some good programs
Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

First of all congrats. Also it all depends on your finances and what you are looking to spend. Yes woodlands, spring, kingwood etc are very nice and very expensive for the most part. I live in la porte and love it. Wouldn't live anywhere else. Its quiet and nice. Stay away from pasadena. Plus you are closer to the bay here. Defiinately look more at local law enforcement rather than hpd. Too much big city crap. Good luck on your search and move.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
I vote for The Woodlands too. Very nice area. There was recently a robbery in the mall parking lot and it was such a big deal because something like that never happens here. You'd tell someone, and they would say, "Really? In The Woodlands?" It's one of those places.

Congrats on getting out. How long were you in? I just finished by 8 years last month.
I will have 8 years when i'm done.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a house for sale in Dickinson. It's 1/2 way between Houston and Galveston. they have a new city hall and p.d. building. House will probably be there in September the way the economy is going.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1965GP
we just moved from Katy to Spring and love it. A little more redneck... but that's us.
Yea, there is only one thing wrong with rednecks ...

There isn't enough of us
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Teching In

I can't wait to get there. I know starting out is going to be hard, but in the end i'll be home with family and have a normal life. I loved the Army but family comes first. I don't want my kids growing up with me gone from home every other year.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:35 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by armymp1983
I can't wait to get there. I know starting out is going to be hard, but in the end i'll be home with family and have a normal life. I loved the Army but family comes first. I don't want my kids growing up with me gone from home every other year.
Good call.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Launching!

I think everyone nailed it on the head as far as the nicer places to live, however those places cost alot more than other areas. I know getting out of the service is hard, I got out 14 months ago and im still trying to get back on my feet!

Remember that getting into the PD is a process that takes time, so your going to have to fill that void. You will be eligible to get unemployment coming out of the service for a year at the max cap, and you can go to school full time getting the MGIB which will help ALOT, I think i was getting $1550 per month for san jac community college in BAH. Plus I got some classes knocked out while I was looking for work, a buddy of mine did this while he was trying to get into the sheriffs office...

-Justin