Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks driver side header install help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks driver side header install help!

I have been fighting this header for the last couple of hours with no end in site to get it in there with what little directions came with them from kooks. Any of you guys with experience please let me know if there is a trick I am just not seeing. Basically the directions say just take off the oil filter and slide them in from the bottom. I have done this and have tried to put them in from every angle that I can see with no dice on getting it in. Please give me any advice if you have put kooks headers in.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't mention, but is the car on a lift? Just asking to make sure you have the car high enough. I cant remember exactly, but I know one side I had to have it almost completely vertical and kind of twisted it up and into place...if that makes sense.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

I have never done an install on a WS6 but I did a set on my C5, and I had to remove every cable, ground wire,hose,steering linkage, and any other line that could get in the way. I jacked the car up about 2 feet and barely wedged it in from the bottom. It took minor "persuasion" with a 4"x 4"block on the collector to get it to slide into place. They should fit without having to smash them all up. Be patient they will eventually go.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
You didn't mention, but is the car on a lift? Just asking to make sure you have the car high enough. I cant remember exactly, but I know one side I had to have it almost completely vertical and kind of twisted it up and into place...if that makes sense.
I wish I had a lift unfortunatly it is on jack stands. I do have the car high enough where I can get it verticle. Always seems like I get hung up between the body and part of the oil pan where the filter screws up at. I thought it would be best to walk away for the night and look at it again tomorrow after work. Maybe it will fall in to place, lol. Not likely with my luck. Everything else went real smooth the other side practically fell in.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Some people have to ground down the k member slightly to get them to slide in. Also there is a tab on the motor that can be cut down that also makes install 1000 times easier.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I had to remove coil packs, last 2 rear spark plugs. steering shaft, and oil filter. this with the TSP 17/8 headers, after removeing all that it slide in still took effort but went in.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

get the car up high enouph and take the oil drain plug out and they should just go right in ive done many on jack stands usually the passenger side is a little harder
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Teching In

I just installed Kooks Race headers on my 02 ws6 and at first I had the same problem! For the driver side I didn't have to cut or knotch anything. I just took a jack and placed it under the transmission and lifted the transmission just an inch or two and then the header just slipped right in!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you try taking the steering column linkage out. its only 2 bolts and will give you plenty of space to maneuver. That is what I did when Installing the ARH headers.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

NOOOO. You dont have to grind or anything. I installled mine on jack stands with the filter on. JUst jack th **** out of it and turn the header so much like its lying down. An just push it up slowly and it will slip right in. I had the same problem as you until i did that.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they pretty much covered it. If you can take the steering linkage out and that will free up some room. As long as you have drain plug and oil filter off and take the linkage off it should slide up. If you are lazy like me and dont want to do the steering linkage, a big hammer to the floor always clears up some room
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

had to remove the motor mount pedastal for my TSP LTs..........then it fit like butta
Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips guys! I got it up and bolted in last night, I hope it sounds as good as it looks and gives me some hp at the wheels as well. I am waiting on O2 wire extensions to see if my money has paid off.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also smack the firewall a couple times with a hammer to get a little extra clearance.

Just for future reference

Quick Reply: Kooks driver side header install help!