Sponsored by:

LY6 & 4L80E questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LY6 & 4L80E questions

I picked up my 2009 LY6/4L80E out of a van today, and have a couple questions:

First, I originally thought that I would get two computers on the harness, the ECM and TCM separate. However, I got the e38 computer and nothing else, and there is a plug that splits off the harness at the same point as the two e38 connectors and I assumed that it was for the trans computer. I asked the guy about it and he looked it up in his parts computer and it showed only the diesels as having a separate TCM. I also looked in the van and could not find anything. So my question is, am I short a TCM or does the e38 control the 4L80E also?

Second, as luck would have it, it decided to rain for the first time in a while today, and I am a tiny bit worried that a small amount water could have made its way into the tail end of the transmission before I could cover it. Short of taking it apart, what would be the best way to clear out any possible water?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

On my 2006 LH6 the tcm was mounted on the backside of the ecm, if its not there then it would seem as you're short an ecm. This is just coming from memory.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

I forgot to add this last night, but if I am indeed missing the TCM, what does it look like and where would it possibly be located in a 2009 Express van? (so that I can tell the guy what to look for and maybe where to find it)

I have done some looking around and I am not so sure that the plug I mentioned in the first post is for the TCM (looks to be too big), but this is just based on pictures I have found of other GM TCMs.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, I think I have figured out that there should definitely be a TCM, now I just need to know where it is in a '09 Van and what to look for...does anybody know?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Ya you should TCM and an ECU. I just picked up a 08 LY6/4L80E and it has a TCM/ECU so you will need it. Have you found any good wiring diagrams so mod the harness. I haven't look a whole lot but i'm sure the info is on here
Old 05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I heard the TCM was in the ECmM on NEWer STUFF. nOT SURE IF ITS TRUE OR NOT. damn cap lock.

Might try calling www.speartech.com and talk to John for the inside scoop. Also. try calling a GM dealer parts department.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

To update...I called the parts yard and asked if they could go look in the van for the TCM where I thought it might be, and sure enough there was indeed a TCM that I needed with the harness, so I got everything I need there.

Originally Posted by toyin
Ya you should TCM and an ECU. I just picked up a 08 LY6/4L80E and it has a TCM/ECU so you will need it. Have you found any good wiring diagrams so mod the harness. I haven't look a whole lot but i'm sure the info is on here

I have not found too much stuff for the LY6/4L80E setup specifically, but I was able to track down some E38 ECM stuff (haven't gone through it real well yet, but I think it's mainly pinouts) for an LS2 on this page http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=405808 (on post #7 mostly). However, other than this I have not found too many Gen IV E38 wiring diagrams.

If you are able to find some good info eventually, please let me know

Quick Reply: LY6 & 4L80E questions