LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My buddy has a big block and his tranmission guy says lower stall for drag racing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My buddy has a big block and his tranmission guy says lower stall for drag racing.

Hey LT1 guys help me understand something. I am tired of argueing with my buddy. But his tranmission guy says that a lower stall is better for drag racing because you don't want a loose stall because you are losing horsepower. My buddy's engine makes 500lbs of torque at 2500rpms and 600lbs of torque at 4400rpms at the flywheel. The tranmission guy says he needs a 2500 stall. Why would he say this for drag racing? Wouldn't he want close to a 4000 stall. Am I right or is the transmission guy right?

Last edited by djm_e22; 05-15-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Why dont you stick with stock then if a lower stall is so much better? Misinformation is a crime IMO
Old 05-15-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Why dont you stick with stock then if a lower stall is so much better? Misinformation is a crime IMO
That is exactly what I told him. Now I have heard that the higher the stall the more slip. For example a 2000 stall slips maybe at 5% at the 2000rpms and higher and the 4000 stall may slip at 7% at 4000 and higher. But I don't think that would be enough to lose the race.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on how much tq the engine makes and where (rpm), what gears are in the car, what size and type of tire and how much the car weighs. A big block makes so much more tq than a sm block so it can use less converter and leave just as hard. You want the converter to stall near peak engine tq for an all out drag car but on a dual purpose car with stock type suspension too much converter and the car will be lazy during daily driving.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
It really depends on how much tq the engine makes and where (rpm), what gears are in the car, what size and type of tire and how much the car weighs. A big block makes so much more tq than a sm block so it can use less converter and leave just as hard. You want the converter to stall near peak engine tq for an all out drag car but on a dual purpose car with stock type suspension too much converter and the car will be lazy during daily driving.
Exactly. He makes peak torque at 4400 but the guy is telling him a 2500 stall would make him faster at the track.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
X2, but I think 2500 is too low a stall unless he is trying to make his passes on street tires....which would make NO sense with a 600 ft lb big block. Also, keep in mind that a convertor rated at 2500 is going to stall up more behind a high tq motor like his. Maybe that is what the trans guy is trying to say?? Either way, I don't see a typical 2500 conv stalling up anywhere near his 4000 rpm peak.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djm_e22
Exactly. He makes peak torque at 4400 but the guy is telling him a 2500 stall would make him faster at the track.
And he is correct, but the right stall will make the car QUICKER.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
X2, but I think 2500 is too low a stall unless he is trying to make his passes on street tires....which would make NO sense with a 600 ft lb big block. Also, keep in mind that a convertor rated at 2500 is going to stall up more behind a high tq motor like his. Maybe that is what the trans guy is trying to say?? Either way, I don't see a typical 2500 conv stalling up anywhere near his 4000 rpm peak.
I don't think that is correct. If you get a 2500 stall converter made to the specs of your car, it should stall at 2500rpms(at least if its a good company making it). Now maybe your talking about taking a 2500 stall out of a small block then sticking it onto a big block, then yes it will stall higher because that stall converter was set up for the small block not the big block. Right?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

Quicker vs. Faster

I didn't catch that. LOL Funny thing is I spent 30 min trying to explain the difference to my kids the other day. I told them my SS is FASTER than my 61, but the 61 would blow it's doors off in a drag race. They still don't get it.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Sorry a little confused. haha. Who is correct?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry a little confused. haha. Who is correct?
Tight converter(2500) will make the car have more MPH in the 1/4 but hurt ET.

The RIGHT(looser) converter with make the car ET better(quicker) and have less MPH.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure id agree with that... the motor would probably fall back on the higher stall converter during the shifts, higher stall is probably alot smaller and lighter, etc. you dont really see a 2500 stall for racing use, unless we're talking about a cummins or duramax. this transmission guy... i wouldnt spend my money with him
Old 05-15-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Smallblock rules don't always apply to big blocks, and even then every build is different.

Usually, you want around 500rpm stall rating below peak tq for drag racing, and a 4k may on paper seem like the best bet when bench racing...but who here thinks they can hook 600ft lbs of tq flashing off the line??? Without a crazy drag setup, that's not gonna happen.

He may have a BBC, but it could be a street rod, and could very well end up quicker in the 1/4 with a 2500 stall.

Like stated, it depends on his gears, weight, cam, etc. If someone told me MY build would be quicker with a 2500 stall, then I wouldn't let them even wash my car, let alone work on it .
Old 05-15-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
Smallblock rules don't always apply to big blocks, and even then every build is different.

Usually, you want around 500rpm stall rating below peak tq for drag racing, and a 4k may on paper seem like the best bet when bench racing...but who here thinks they can hook 600ft lbs of tq flashing off the line??? Without a crazy drag setup, that's not gonna happen.

He may have a BBC, but it could be a street rod, and could very well end up quicker in the 1/4 with a 2500 stall.

Like stated, it depends on his gears, weight, cam, etc. If someone told me MY build would be quicker with a 2500 stall, then I wouldn't let them even wash my car, let alone work on it .
I told him the only reason he would be quicker with a 2500 is if he can't hook with a higher stall. But if he can, which their are plenty of people with that power that can, he would no doubt be faster with a higher stall. By the way that is 600lbs at the flywheel, before he attaches the th400 and 9" rear end. And yes the same rules do apply as a small block. If he can get traction with the big block, the torque converter with the stall nearest his peak torque wins.

Last edited by djm_e22; 05-15-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Rockstar

You keep saying he won't hook, but is that assuming DS or street tires?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
You keep saying he won't hook, but is that assuming DS or street tires?
I don't know why they are saying that because first off that my buddy's engine is 600lbs of torque at the flywheel. By the time it goes through his th400 and 9" it will be in the mid 400 most likely. He will be using slicks. Also the transmission guy never said about him not getting traction. Matter of fact the tranmission guy assumed he would get traction because he said the higher stall will just get you a better start but you will lose at the end of the track. So can anyone now explain why he would say this or is he just simply wrong?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know why they are saying that because first off that my buddy's engine is 600lbs of torque at the flywheel. By the time it goes through his th400 and 9" it will be in the mid 400 most likely. He will be using slicks. Also the transmission guy never said about him not getting traction. Matter of fact the tranmission guy assumed he would get traction because he said the higher stall will just get you a better start but you will lose at the end of the track. So can anyone now explain why he would say this or is he just simply wrong?
He's right and wrong at the same time. Like explained earlier , the higher stall will get him off the line faster, IF he can hook, and really the launch is probably the biggest factor in getting a good e/t outside of brute power. The car will trap at a lower speed, but the e/t should most likely end up faster. This is exactly why you can see a stock WRX and a stock LT1 Z run eachother and despite the canyon sized gap in trap speeds, the e/t won't be all that far apart (with a good launch the Z will be quicker still, but not by as much as the power/speed difference would suggest). Its for a different reason, yet with a similar result, but amplified. So GENERALLY SPEAKING, remembering that there is no hard fast rules here since no two builds are exactly the same...

higher stall = faster launch, slower acceleration

lower stall = slower launch, faster acceleration
Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
higher stall = faster launch, slower acceleration

lower stall = slower launch, faster acceleration
quoted so you can't delete it... that makes absolutely no sense.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
quoted so you can't delete it... that makes absolutely no sense.
It doesn't make sense that a looser converter that slips more, but lets you launch closer to the peak of the power band would result in a lower e/t, but also lower trap? That lower trap wouldn't just magically happen, so would the car not have to accelerate slower AFTER leaving the line?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

higher stall is what he wants..

you really want to put a end to this have him call up ptc and give them his full specs of car,trans,gear,tires,motor info and they will spec him out the right converter for his combo..

Quick Reply: My buddy has a big block and his tranmission guy says lower stall for drag racing.