Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Question about body paint.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about body paint.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows anything about paint on cars. The reason I ask is because I had my front end of my 96 Camaro painted in November of 09. I had the car painted by the local Chevrolet dealer ship. They did a prety good job I think. The question I had is, how common is it for pieces of the hood to get chipped off by rock chips from the road. It's only been like 6 months and I already have 3 decent size dings. The dealer claims this is common on any paint service you get anywhere. My old original hood didn't chip nearly as easy. In fact my old hood wouldn't chip off paint, but rather create a small almsot white clear scrath. Not a whole half penny sized hole.

The dealer also says that any other place I go to to get it painted the same will happen. He told me that Corvettes and Cobalts recieve the same paint, and that it goes for all their cars they make. I don't know why but I thought maybe they spent more time, or money on better/more materials for a flawless job on their higher end cars. If rock chips did do this to my car, I'm afraid in 12 months what it will look like... I didnt have this problem with my old hood.

If it is common for hoods to chip almost effortlessly after being painted, is there a way to protect it. Or is it supposed to be more durrable, did I just get a cheap half assed job done?

Here are some pics of the chipped paint spots. there are 3 decent sized ones after only 6 months...

They did the paint on the hood, front right fender, and bumper.. (they also stripped the hood before paiting it, whatever that means)

Thanks for reading. Any thought on the matter would be much appreciated!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Most non factory paint is going to be softer then the factory because of the way it is applied and the baking process. So non factory paint will usually chip and scratch alot easier
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 PM

lol, that's very sad. If that's the case, shoulda had maaco do it lol. I'll be repainting it every six months or so anyways, just the hood since it chips real easy. Oh well, maaco here I come!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't use body paint. I'd try automotive paint next time. Just sayin.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Don't use macco or you'll have more problems. Any aftermarket paint chips easier than factory paint and the reason your hood does it worse is because on impact your bumper will give softening the impact and the hood won't.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. Wish it were easier to find good service.

I took my car today to serveral professional body/paint shops. Every one told me the paint job was not good quality almost instantly after looking at the work. In fact the guy at the cadillac dealer paint shop said I need to skip the supervisor and speak to their GM. He told me the hood was not stripped down, and if it was that it looked poorly/done too quick. He even pointed out small dings on the hood I had not noticed before. He even found a spot that has some cracking under the clear coat or that it may be sanding patterns that were not smoothed out properly under the paint.

I am very pissed, and feel taken advantage of. I'm going to talk to the GM tomorrow first thing after I get off of work. They are going to do it right, or give me a refund. I paid cash for good service. Not so you could half *** it, or speed thru it.

I wish I did know of a good paint shop to trust. Honestly I live in a big city and dont know of any auto paint shops to trust. There is a lot out there. I trusted the chevy dealer because they work on these cars all the time. But I guess that makes them lose interest in painting each car with good quality like as if it was their own.

I'm not talking smack about all the chevy dealers(I'm sure there are good ones out there), just this on by my house for sure is not a good one for paint/body work.