Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Engine Vibration- worse after clutch swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Vibration- worse after clutch swap

Hello all!

A veteran mechanic (20+yrs) and I did a clutch swap in my '01 SS M6 last weekend. I had a slight vibration right at 2,000 RPM before the clutch swap, but I just shifted around it, even though it did annoy me because I like my **** to be perfect. Anyway bought an 11" clutch kit (non-adjustable) from KY Clutch. Since it's an 11" clutch KY clutch they told me to knock out the dowel pins and install the clutch. Did all that and it vibrates like a son of a bitch, so bad that I parked the car cuz I'm afraid to drive it. During the clutch install we put a pole jack under the balancer and lifted the engine to get clearance to pull the tranny. I drove it home, 20 miles, and looked at the balancer and saw a slight wobble. I replaced the balancer with a new one from Pep Boys- Dorman brand and it still vibrates badly.

Is it possible that I got a bum clutch kit? Could the flywheel be out of balance? The clutch says "Valor" on the pressure plate. I have installed "Valor" clutches in 5.0 Mustangs and CJ Jeeps that I have owned with no problems.

The clutch that was removed was a LS6 clutch- the self-adjusting pressure plate type and it was all the way out, but there was plenty of meat on the clutch disc. Was the vibration I felt at 2,000 RPM "normal" because I have a poly tranny mount?

Any opinions/experience welcome.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Is it a bad idea to turn a flywheel on hydraulic clutch equipped vehicles? I was told it will have a negative effect on where the clutch releases. When shopping for a clutch kit I also noticed that most were sold with a new flywheel. On all the manual linkage clutch cars I have had in the past I turned the flywheel with no problem, but this is the first hydraulic clutch vehicle I have had so I don't know what flys and what doesn't.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

It was a "valeo" clutch and not a "valor." The main cause of the vibration was the polyurethane trans mount. Swapped in a rubber mount for a 94-97 M6 Firebird and it took about 90% of the vibration away. I'll chalk up the little bit of vibration I still have to poly engine mounts and a 107K mile engine. Hope this helps someone out in the future.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

you can turn the flywheel you just might have a problem where the clutch engages very close to the floor.. check out speedinc parts under transmission for a shim to help it engage a little higher off the ground. As far as the vibration i would check front and rear u joints on driveshaft also trans mount. Good luck
Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CamaroZstyle28
you can turn the flywheel you just might have a problem where the clutch engages very close to the floor.. check out speedinc parts under transmission for a shim to help it engage a little higher off the ground. As far as the vibration i would check front and rear u joints on driveshaft also trans mount. Good luck
I can vouch for this. I had mine turned and the clutch does engage closer to to the floor

Quick Reply: Engine Vibration- worse after clutch swap