Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter removal/trans fluid refill

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter removal/trans fluid refill

Last week I ordered a MGW shifter and it should be here Tuesday I'm hoping. I'm sure the shifter removal is fairly straight forward but is there any special tips I should know?

Also, while I have the shifter out...would it be a good idea to change my transmission fluid? I have some problems getting it into 1st and reverse from a stop. To my knowledge it has never been changed and I see some people recommending to change it every 10k miles, others 30k miles, so I don't know...but I have almost 70k on mine. I have no idea where to fill it from and some say the easiest way is from the top where the shifter is so that's what I was going to do. How far should I fill it up to? I would be using the regular Dex III I guess, since I have gotten so many mixed opinions on what fluid to use. Many people seem to like the Honda ATF fluid though and some like the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF but other say Synthetic is bad for the synchros or blocker rings so **** Idk haha
Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had my engine and trans out of the car thats how i filled it up. Dumped it right down the shifter. I just used GM's synchromesh.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the shifter out then yes fill it through there. You'll need 4qts of Dex III. For future reference the drain hole is on the passenger side and has "drain" by it. The fill hole is on the driver's side and says "fill" by it. A hand pump to fill it from underneath is the best way to do it and is really easy.