General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

preparing car to start after 2yrs of sitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default preparing car to start after 2yrs of sitting

Due to some past issues, our 99 TA has been sitting for about 2 years. Few months back, i replaced the water pump. This weekend i worked on the car again and finally got things ready. Did a radiator flush, refilled and put new radiator cap. Emptied the oil and replaced the filter, filled with new syn oil. Replaced the fuel filter and charging the battery to see if its still good. The car hasnt moved in about 2 years, so is there anything else i should check or do before attempting to start? Ive checked all fluids and everything is set. We arent planning on driving the car, since the inspection and registration are expired. But we want to get it running so we can fix anything else and start working on it on the weekends to get it back to good running order.

Any suggestion on anything else we should check before trying to start would be great. Also, since its been sitting for so long, anything to do with the gas? Will we need to spray anything in the throttle body to get it going?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Drain the gas and replace. Turn engine by hand, just to ensure that it's free. I'd also prime the oil system before moving the engine, but I'm not sure how you do that on an LS. Any oil that was in the bearings is long gone by this time.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call on the gas.

It's not possible to prime the oil because the pump runs off the crank.

Expect smoke and clatter when it first fires up. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Never drained the gas before, so would it be easier to get a siphon or dropping the tank? i would think that using a siphon would be easier, but would that accomplish what i need to do? I mean does it just need to be emptied enough to fill with fresh gas to dilute anything old gas left, or do we want it completly empty so there is no gas left at all?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CubanGT
Never drained the gas before, so would it be easier to get a siphon or dropping the tank? i would think that using a siphon would be easier, but would that accomplish what i need to do? I mean does it just need to be emptied enough to fill with fresh gas to dilute anything old gas left, or do we want it completly empty so there is no gas left at all?
Usually there is a trap door in the gas tank that doesnt allow it to be sucked out. Dropping the tank is likely the only option. 2 year old gas will not be good so it needs to be replaced IMO. Also, to prime the engine with oil before starting, disconnect the coil pack harness on both sides of the engine and pull the fuel pump fuse and fire the engine over this way. Do it in short burst of 5 or less seconds at a time, giving the starter some time to cool in between cranks. The starters can get very hot while continually cranking like this. Also, before the initial turn over to prime the oil system, I would seriously consider pulling all 8 plugs and spraying WD-40 down in the cylinders and letting that sit for a while. This will insure that if the rings are rusty they can easily break free. 2 years is a long time for an engine to sit so good luck
Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Good call on the gas.

It's not possible to prime the oil because the pump runs off the crank.

Expect smoke and clatter when it first fires up. Good luck.
You could prime it with an external accumulator, like an Accusump, right? Tap into where the OPSU is?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Well, all the methods for the engine have been covered so far. . . . . If it is a AT that is a different story. I never heard of a way of priming a AT and they hate to sit for long periods of time.

A manual does not care at all.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Another question that has nothing to do with starting the car, but more with the rims. found that one of the rims has surface rust on it and wondering since they are chrome rims, what would be the safest thing to do or use to get rid of that without damaging it..
Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Autosol is a great metal polish that doesn't scratch.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

how much gas is in the tank? If it's not much I would put a can of seafoam in it and fill the tank up with fresh gas.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Usually there is a trap door in the gas tank that doesnt allow it to be sucked out. Dropping the tank is likely the only option. 2 year old gas will not be good so it needs to be replaced IMO. Also, to prime the engine with oil before starting, disconnect the coil pack harness on both sides of the engine and pull the fuel pump fuse and fire the engine over this way. Do it in short burst of 5 or less seconds at a time, giving the starter some time to cool in between cranks. The starters can get very hot while continually cranking like this. Also, before the initial turn over to prime the oil system, I would seriously consider pulling all 8 plugs and spraying WD-40 down in the cylinders and letting that sit for a while. This will insure that if the rings are rusty they can easily break free. 2 years is a long time for an engine to sit so good luck
I would consider this.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Along with what everyone has said, I'd also clean the throttle body and also the MAF sensor. Now the MAF has it's own cleaner, but it's very easy to use. Maybe check for any blown fuses as well, I suppose.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

After taking everyones advice, i got the car running. Received my positive cable yesterday and installed it today. Voltage seems to be staying above 13, which it wasnt in the past. Got a full tank of gas and put some of the seafoam in. Took it for a short drive and back and idles at steadt 500rpms, water temp is staying right below the middle 210, oil pressure is showing right above 40 on the gauge and goes up as we go faster. The SES light was off for most of the drive, then it finally came on, it was on before we parked the car years ago, but its throwing "P0430 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold, right bank" Should i be checking the cats for this or the sensors?
Also, after spending about $35 for the gas, the fuel gauge is still showing empty.

Just looking for some normal readings on the oil, temp, and voltage to see if these are within the normal range, the drive today was about a 6 mile round trip never going over 50, to make sure nothing went or was wrong.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Oh, also forgot, any recommendations on new plugs and cables?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you may have a bad gauge or sensor in the tank on the fuel situation, as far as everything else goes it sounds all normal. For plugs and wires you cant go wrong with ngk tr55 and some msd wires theyre cheap but still offer a quality piece.

Quick Reply: preparing car to start after 2yrs of sitting