Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me here-what all will I need

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me here-what all will I need

Hopefully before the end of summer, I'll be changing the heads out on a 2001 z28. Right now it has the 241 heads. I've got a set of 243 heads fresh from the machine shop that had a valve job, pressure test, and milled .005. The car has all the bolt-ons and a TSP MS4 cam. I'll have to change the springs and keepers over to the 243's when I do this. What all will I need?
LS7 lifters
pushrods
head gaskets
head bolts
intake gasket?
Anything else? And what kind of head gasket, pushrods, and bolts would some of you recommend? Some part numbers would be good if they are handy.What is so unique about the ARP bolts--can they be reused? One other thing, I thought about some roller tip rocker arms. Any recommendations on these?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a good idea to replace the lifters while the heads are off.

You should already have hardened pushrods that should be fine to reuse.

GM MLS stock replacement head gaskets. Unless your pistons have valve reliefs then go for the .040 cometics for the added compression and better quench.

The valve cover gaskets can be a pain if they pop out the groove when removing the covers. It may be a good idea to have some on hand in case they give trouble.

Intake gaskets are reusable. I would inspect them for damage and make sure they are not flush with the intake sealing surface. If they look okay, let 'em eat.

The ARP bolts can be reused and only require tightening to a torque spec. The GM bolts need to be torqued then tightened in degrees. The ARP bolts are easier to install and you won't have to worry about replacing them again.