LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new build

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new build

Ok well I need a lot of information im Going to go ahead and tell you im no expert on lt1s so I need some advice on my setup. I want to run a forged 383 setup that can take 150 spray. I have a block that is clearances and has all party hardware installed. Im Going to have my stock heads ported and bigger valves I haven't decided le or AI yet but basically I want to run the GM 847 Cam. What spring kit should I use? Anybody refer a good valve brand? Also because im running spray what compression should I be running. The car is. 95 m6 it has 4.10s . All bolt one will be on. Just looking for any advice also if anyone has built a similar setup what stroker kit / brand did u go with. Take it easy on me fellas im a rookie thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoever you have doing the heads will also do the valves. Both popular companies offer valve replacement with their packages. They will also supply you with the correct valvesprings and hardware. Eliminate the guesswork and let them pick the correct parts.

I would also suggest seeking something other than the 847 (What brought you to that conclusion? Hopefully not the sound...). Go with a custom grind from whatever cylinder head company you go with as they will know best, not the old-school GM grind from yesteryear.

As far as the bottom end is concerned, I would suggest doing a search and talk with a few local engine builders too. You will find immense amounts of info, but you are on the right track with seeking a forged bottom end with the nitrous you'll be pushing through it.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe is 100% right, you need to talk with a builder and have someone spec you the whole thing, even if you're going to gather the parts and do it yourself.

If you pick the cam, one guy ports the heads, another guy specs the valvetrain, another guy tells you what compression to run, another guy tells you what parts to put in the bottom end, another guy or you does all the work...

See where that's going and how easily it can turn into a disaster?

I'll say it again like I and so many others have said before. A well-performing combo is parts that are designed to work together. Not a hodge podge of go fast stuff.