LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LT1 fuel pumps

I did a search, but didn't come up with exactly the information I was looking for...

My LT1's fuel pump very recently started to get louder. Not a real "growl", but just a louder "hum" while the car is running. It may just be old age, or the pump might be getting ready to crap out, I'm not sure. However, in case it's dying, I want to have a replacement on hand. This is where it gets confusing...

I've looked at all the websites, as well as what my part time employer (Advance Auto Parts) sells, and the prices are all over the place. They satrt around $115, for just a pump, to over $500, for a supposedly high end Bosch pump. I'm trying to determine what, exactly, is the difference between the cheapest and most expensive pumps.

I don't race the car, so I don't need the Racetronics pump and wiring harness, although it looks like a good set-up. Airtex sells just a "pump only" deal, where you have to swap over the rest of the assembly, for just over $100. Bosch claims to have a "superior turbine design" pump, which sells for $4-500, depending on the supplier, and Delphi and Carter are priced somewhere in between.

Does anybody know if there is any worthwhile difference between these pumps, for a car that's driven in a reasonable manner 90% of the time, with only occasional, short, high RPM blasts??
Old 06-05-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

Don't waste your time and money on anything made in China, when it comes to a fuel pump.. So that eliminates most parts store and ebay pumps.

Get a Napa Gold, Delphi/AC Delco, real Walboro 255 or 340 pump, or Racetronics kit, with the wiring upgrade, unless you like changing pumps a lot.

The original undersized wiring gets corroded and makes the pumps work harder and go out. Also if you run out of fuel or real low a lot, that can help kill a pump, as they need fuel in and around them, to keep them cool when running.

Cut A access panel in the rear of the car to change out, do a search here and plenty of pics on where to cut, get a sheet metal or alloy panel to cover the hole.

Check out Lonnies Performance a sponsor on here as he does a lot of fuel system upgrades you may be interested in. Plan on 100-300+ Min depending what you go with. Make sure your system is correctly vented, no pinched rotted lines or wrong type of fuel cap.

In tank pumps can be a pain to change out if they go out often, even with a access panel, or worse yet where they may leave you and you car stranded at.

Hope this helps.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stock the Racetronix kits which are complete with all wiring, fuel hoses etc.
I recommend getting the hot wire kit to get proper voltage to the pump.

If I can help, please give me a call.

Quick Reply: LT1 fuel pumps