LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about o-ringing my block and using copper gaskets. Also are hellfire rings..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about o-ringing my block and using copper gaskets. Also are hellfire rings..

I am going to shoot a 250 shot on my motor and I am going to have the engine builder O-ring my 4.030 bore LT1 block. Does the block have to be surfaced a certain way when using copper gaskets?

Also is there anything I need to know or do when installing these type of gaskets with my O-ringed block? Is O-ringing the block enough or should I do the heads as well? What brand/model number copper gasket do you recommend?

Also, my car made 403rwhp through a m6 and 9" rear end. When I add the 250 shot of nitrous, will hellfire rings be necessary?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a good MLS gasket on there with head studs and you'll be totally fine. You don't push head gaskets at that power level. If you do you're way off on the tune. I'd do the hellfire rings though.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Just put a good MLS gasket on there with head studs and you'll be totally fine. You don't push head gaskets at that power level. If you do you're way off on the tune. I'd do the hellfire rings though.
One thing that I may run into though, is next year I will be changing over to a solid roller setup and still plan on shooting the 250 shot. Do you think I will need to 0-ring the block and use copper head gaskets than? If so I would like to go ahead and o-ring my block now so I can just change the heads and the cam when I go solid roller. That way I wouldn't have to pull the motor again to 0-ring it.

By the way I meant to say I was pulling the motor anyways because I want to 4 bolt splay the mains cause I never did it when I first rebuilt my motor.

Also if you still don't think I will need the o-ring/copper gaskets is there anything special I need to know about the MLF gaskets? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say at your power level o-ringing isn't necessary. If you were up around 800+whp with a significant amount of boost I'd say it would be worth it, but for a relatively mild spray/SR, it'd be an unnecessary expense.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

nope, still don't need o-rings and copper gaskets. Make sure the deck is flat, give the heads a skim and you'll have no trouble with the mls gaskets. I've run the mr gasket and cometic mls gaskets, can't lose with either one IMO.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
nope, still don't need o-rings and copper gaskets. Make sure the deck is flat, give the heads a skim and you'll have no trouble with the mls gaskets. I've run the mr gasket and cometic mls gaskets, can't lose with either one IMO.
Awesome, but I got one more question. I still don't know if I need to put a copper spray or anything on the cometic gaskets. I hear of people doing it and then I hear people saying not to do it because the manufacture says not to? What did you guys do?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

i've never sprayed anything on them, works fine for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

every cometic i have ever used i just put it on, no copper spray and had no problems on 12lbs an 10.5:1 comp
Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

just put on the gasket, hell I have a few guys that actually retorque the head gaskets while using mls after getting to operating temp. But no spray on them at all. Just use a mls gasket and you wil be good.

Quick Reply: Question about o-ringing my block and using copper gaskets. Also are hellfire rings..