Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Leaking 10 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking 10 bolt

So, I changed out the fluid in my 10 bolt today. Tried using some red RTV sealant like it says to use on InstallUniversity.com. I drive a 2000 Z28 so I wasn't sure if I'd need the Limited Slip Differential stuff so I went ahead and put it in anyway. I sealed everything up and filled it with fluid. I have already found a small leak out of the bottom of the cover.

My question is, to resolve this am I going to have to buy two new things of oil and the additive? I already have the gasket, I just wanted to know if I had to spend another 20+ bucks on more oil and additive or if there is a way I could salvage this stuff. It's not too big of a deal to get more, but like most people would rather not spend unnecessary money.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If its not contaminated and you can recover it without contaminating it, refill it with the same.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

use a clean drain pan and reuse the fluid.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's what I'm thinking, I'm just wondering how I'm going to get it back in. My thought was a gallon zip lock bag and cut a corner off or somethin. Does autozone or somewhere sell funnels that curve? Also I'm afraid of driving it too much now but have no choice, is there a temp fix I could throw on there?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Are the bolts on the cover good and tight? I would consider adding a drain plug to the cover to make future fluid changes easier.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah they're tight. I am just afraid to drive it to work. I don't want to screw anything up. I crawled under it last night and it looked like a good amount had leaked out. I'm gunna have to drive it to work and have someone run me out an grab another thing of oil and put it in. Then run to a place where I can redo the whole thing
Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

So, had a connection at Autozone that let me use the rear parking lot to fix the seal on the rear diff today. Drained it out, cleaned the edges and put a new seal on it. Rubbed some oil on the edges and put the cover back on. Tightened the bolts down opposite one another and started filling it up with oil again. NO LEAKS!!!! Found out the reason it leaked was because of that little gap at the bottom of the diff, I didn't put RTV far enough down on that side . Anyway, used a funnel to refill the original bottle of oil I used and just squeezed enough in until it poured back out and was done with it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I did buy a little hand pump thing but the one I got didnt' work for what I needed and was all the had so I just used a funnel lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Damn, didn't even realize you were my neighbor. I could have helped you out. Have you ever checked out kyhorsepower.com?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Haha no worries I got it goin good. I checked the seal a couple hours later and didn't see a drop. Haven't checked it this morning yet though.

Yeah I recently registered on there but to me there's just so much more info on here that pertains to our cars I didn't find anything of use on there. Either that or I just like the layout of this site more I dunno. But I'm registered as either TheDuke or Duke I can't remember

Last edited by DukesOfHazard; 06-08-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Stupid iphone
Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

So, crawled under the car when I got up to leave this morning. Looks to me like only 1 single solitary drop came out which is a hell of a lot better than what it was doing.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For future reference any auto parts store sells a fluid pump. They are usually not more than about ten bucks and allow you to pump out of an oil bottle or anything really through a hose. Its great for remote fills like you rear or the transmission and so forth where its hard to access. Made my life alot easier on my recent transmission fluid change.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only one they had when I was there was a siphon pump which obviously didn't have the power to pull enough. I was planning on getting one of those but they didn't have one.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

On my old 97, I replaced the rear-end fluid and didn't scrape off the old gasket good enough, it continued to leak forever. I just replaced my rear-end fluid on my 01 a month ago, I made sure to scrape ALL the gasket cleaner off, used some brake cleaner, and scuffed up both surfaces a bit. Added some high-temp gasket sealer, and have not had a drop fall from this. The pinion seal still leaks like a mother, in fact maybe more than that it did before possible due to the thinner synthetic fluid.. Oh well
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I scraped the hell out of the places where the gasket was. I haven't crawled under it yet to even see where it's leaking. It looked like it had so much rust on it previously that if anything could leak out it wouldn't have. When I got the bolts loose originally I had to put just about every ounce of strength to get the drain plug out so I'm kinda thinking it's probably that.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what gear oil did you use ? if it cheap stuff I would not reuse it, if it like redline or amsoil I do reuse it haha. next time use this

Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Sealant

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...tv_sealant.htm

or black or grey, after put the cover back on, finger tigh , wait 1 hours, tight down a little, leave it over night, next morning tight it down really good, then refill with gear oil.