anybody use the sjm abs delete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody use the sjm abs delete?

my abs module is leaking and i was looking at this abs delete as an option. was curious if anybody has used it on a dd car and had problems with locking up, flat spots, etc etc. i asked in the suspension and brake section, but they're useless lol. i searched but cant find very much info about it, and most people seem to be using it on their track only cars. was just curious how well it works for dd street cars and if anybody had any tips before i actually buy it. thanks
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not having ABS can get pretty scary. The ABS in my SS didn't work or didn't have it and I almost wrecked it several times in the 50 miles I drove it. Really it had more to do with me expecting it to be there and it wasn't.

You shouldn't have any issues though under normal driving, but around here someone pulls out in front of my car every day, usually once every few weeks I will get a damn near hit. Last run in was Monday, had to go into oncoming traffic to avoid this Suburban that didn't see me and pulled out taking up two lanes.

If it isn't anything big or expensive I would go ahead and fix it.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You must be hard on the brakes. I have only had it come on 2x in the 11 years of having fbodies. 1 was in Colorado and the other was trying to drive in the snow.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Made my own abs delete with swagelok fittings an ss tubing . Looks much cleaner than the sjm kit
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use real Swagelok brand fittings, you should be OK. But using Home Depot swage nut and ferrel fittings is an issue because they don't have the same 10K psi rating that Swagelock brand does. Be careful.

BY rule, we have to remove ABS from the road racing cars we build.

I prefer the Burkhart CNC block as opposed to a spider web of lines, fittings and adaptors. The BC block is machined and threaded so all the factoy lines attach at the factory location. It also uses the ABS unit's mount.

Very clean install.

You will need to install some sort of proportioning valve if you remove ABS.

Last edited by mitchntx; 06-24-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

thats why i was looking at the sjm kit, because it comes complete basically. i was looking at the burkhart setup too, and it seems a bit more complicated and much more expensive
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Complicated? Look at the top of your ABS block. That's what the Burkhart block looks like.

You will need a prop valve with either set up.