LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Misfire/crank problems/screweeeddddd

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire/crank problems/screweeeddddd

Just got back from a 6000 mile road trip with my 94 TA. Earlier one of my wires had melted, killing my ignition module and cracking my distributor cap. Replaced the wire, put a new cap and rotor on. Didn't change the whole distributor because I was tight on money and nowhere near home. Ran fine for a while, after another 2000 miles or so, I blew a fuel line, I don't know if that has anything to do with this, or how it even happened for that matter but yeah. It started to misfire before that too, in 6th gear when I give it alot of gas. No other gears do it. Right as I got home I started to smell something burning, really bad. Oh, my a/c also went out too, but that was because one of the hoses was against a belt and it cut right into it. I figured that's what the burnt smell was, or thats what I was hoping. >_<

Anyways, long story short. Now it's misfiring, and it won't crank at all, it doesn't turn over, just tries for a second and then nothing. If I keep trying, something starts to smoke on the passenger side, down near the wires actually. >_< Stupid pains in the *** on the passenger side, can't reach or see them very well, and from what I can see, none of them are melted...what could be causing this...since I've replaced everything I can think of (other than the distributor)
Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

that thing that starts to smoke on the passenger side is probably your starter, can you roll it over by hand?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Yeah, right after I posted this I realized that. I'll do that tomorrow, but that still leaves the misfire problem. Talked to a friend earlier who thinks that because the wire melted, it cracked that plug. I have all brand new plugs and wires, I changed them right before I left. I guess that makes sense, I'll have to check that too. I'll probably end up changing all my plugs and wires AGAIN. >_<
Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

bumpbump.

It's not the starter, I checked it, works fine. >_< Checked all my wires to my battery, all fine. Checked fuses, they're fine. I've been told to just try cleaning the contacts and try it after I put the starter back in, so I'll do that in the morning. Could the ignition module have gone bad again? Haven't tried to roll over by hand, i'll do that once I put the starter back in. I also have a water pump hose that's leaking, but the temperature only went up by about 10 degrees from 185 to maybe 200, shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: Misfire/crank problems/screweeeddddd