General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new camaro owner with problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new camaro owner with problem

so i just got a 96 v6 camaro 3.8L long story short i drove it 15 miles to work and back. only time i got on it was to make a quick uturn cause traffic was coming, and to get on the highway. so after I make the uturn and get on the highway the CEL pops on. I get half way home and pull over cause i was curious. so i pop the hood and i see something i think it was coolant leaking from under the oil filter. idk if it was actually coming from that though. but the leak was rather rapid. i get home and pop my code reader in and the CEL is a p1406 EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit. i know absolutely nothing about this car or the engine so can someone tell me what might be wrong? and also i took the coolant cap off there was nothing in there and the residue that was left on the dipstick looked like the coolant was never EVER changed it was all tan and nasty. Oil looked fine. but whatever was leaking was watery but had a coolantish smell. i couldnt tell the color cause it's night time but it looked clear. and when i got home it was no longer leaking. i find this strange cause the previous owner said he was a mechanic you'd think the coolant system would be flushed o.0

Last edited by Chevy Cobalt 08; 07-03-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, buying a car from a mechanic could be really good or really bad. Next time take it to a mechanic YOU are paying for an objective inspection.

You coolant leak and EGR code are unrelated. If the leak is coming from the front of the engine, a common problem are the plastic heater tubes near the water pump. You EGR code is most likely the valve itself.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. So first for an update. I spend 2 hrs last night checking everything and what not. It doesn't leak anymore, but it was definitely anti freeze. The radiator needed to be flushed like no tomorrow. All other fluids were fine, and there was no fluid loss anywhere. I don't understand it though, because it was leaking a lot before I got home. And I mean like puddles. But when I opened the radiator cap, it was full? *shrugs* I know it's deff not a head gasket leak because the oil wasn't milky and the exhaust didn't smell sweet. The car seems to drive and run fine. Took it to a mechanic this morning, and the CEL was off. Had it inspected for inspection it passed, and the mechanic didn't see anything wrong with it. So wtf? I took a bunch of pictures and videos last night. I'll post them here later tonight, because I gotta get to work right now. As for the EGR I guess I have to replace the valve?
Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

You are missing fluid somewhere, would be wise to not drive it until you find out where (if there really were puddles).
Old 07-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
Thanks for the response. So first for an update. I spend 2 hrs last night checking everything and what not. It doesn't leak anymore, but it was definitely anti freeze. The radiator needed to be flushed like no tomorrow. All other fluids were fine, and there was no fluid loss anywhere. I don't understand it though, because it was leaking a lot before I got home. And I mean like puddles. But when I opened the radiator cap, it was full? *shrugs* I know it's deff not a head gasket leak because the oil wasn't milky and the exhaust didn't smell sweet. The car seems to drive and run fine. Took it to a mechanic this morning, and the CEL was off. Had it inspected for inspection it passed, and the mechanic didn't see anything wrong with it. So wtf? I took a bunch of pictures and videos last night. I'll post them here later tonight, because I gotta get to work right now. As for the EGR I guess I have to replace the valve?
Just because you pop the radiator cap and its topped off does not mean the coolant system is full of coolant. It could be quite low from an air pocket in the system. When you get a small pinhole type leak somewhere, coolant will squirt out after the pressure builds up. Then when you shut it down air gets sucked in through that pinhole as the engine cools off. Now you have air in the system. Usually this will make you run hotter and hotter over time....but maybe this little pinhole just started so you're not seeing any overheating at all.
I'd take the radiator cap off when the engine is completely cold, start the engine, and wait till the t-stat opens up and you see the coolant start to flow. If the coolant level drops down-----you have a leak somewhere, blown head gasket or a bad radiator cap.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

was your ac running? if so that was probably your leak.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FNSlow
You are missing fluid somewhere, would be wise to not drive it until you find out where (if there really were puddles).
Well I took it to a mechanic this morning, and he didn't see anything wrong with it.
Originally Posted by LS6427
Just because you pop the radiator cap and its topped off does not mean the coolant system is full of coolant. It could be quite low from an air pocket in the system. When you get a small pinhole type leak somewhere, coolant will squirt out after the pressure builds up. Then when you shut it down air gets sucked in through that pinhole as the engine cools off. Now you have air in the system. Usually this will make you run hotter and hotter over time....but maybe this little pinhole just started so you're not seeing any overheating at all.
I'd take the radiator cap off when the engine is completely cold, start the engine, and wait till the t-stat opens up and you see the coolant start to flow. If the coolant level drops down-----you have a leak somewhere, blown head gasket or a bad radiator cap.

I'll have to give this a try. It wont shoot out hot steam or anything like you see in movies will it?
Originally Posted by jam01
was your ac running? if so that was probably your leak.
No. The fluid was green. Green is anti freeze right? Which is strange, cause the label on the car says to use the orange stuff like I use in my cobalt. Is freon green? The AC worked earlier today though so idk.

Here's a video and pictures

Video: http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/u...camaroprob.mp4

Pictures:

Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Ok did the thing with the radiator with the cap off, and the level stayed the same. I waited till operating temp, and it didn't move at all. That's a good thing I hope?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Hmm my friend with an 02 SS says it might be a broken water pump. Anyone else agree?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the stuff in your overflow tank looks orange to me, have you pulled the cap off of
the radiator to see if it is low. yes the water pump could weep a little before it totally goes. you could try pressure testing the system, that will point you in the right direction.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look like fking dexcool stuff, I would take care the leak and flush it out, and put green stuff in.