General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise coming from back end of car

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise coming from back end of car

Ok so i had my noisy car finally looked at . ive had rear end noise for years , whenever the car moved it sounded like crap. The shop replaced the bearings in the rear as they looked like someone etched words in them .
got the car back sounds 75% better. no more loud noise except for now it has a very loud high pitch humm . Shop said they couldnt find anything else in rear end that was bad. The sound i can hear around 10mph thru 80+ changes slightly with weather breaking/accelerating . noise is there when cruising in neutral. loudest around 50-60mph. Does anyone have any ideas? ive heard it may be the gears? or the fluid they used in rear end?

thanks its driving me nutts as i know drive it daily

Car is 2000 transam ws6 6 speed. stock rear end and gears
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

my car does the exact same thing between 50-70. ive pulled the inspection cover and everything checked ok. i used a limited slip attitive and royal purple dope and it got quiter for about 2000 miles and got loud again. Ive had alot of people tell me its just normal gear wear. I just hate it cause its annoying as hell.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

I was told the same is the gear alignment or something . I have to keep my windows down so i dont hear it so much. to bad its 100 degrees outside
Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

im right there with ya buddy. just gonna drive it til it breaks
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Teching In

its sounds like your talking about ring and pinion whine, some of the whine is normal, but its when its loud is when you can have too much backlash or inproper pinion depth. If you had new bearings replaced then what i have found is the shim under the pinion bearing is the wrong size. too thick or too thin. when you change pinion depth you also change backlash. If the gears have a lot of miles on them then you would need to replace the ring and pinion and all new bearing. Most aftermarket gear all whine,but not to **** anyone off not all of them whine. I have seen car and trucks with ring and pinion whine go for 100000 miles or more. it is due to the way the gears mate with each other. i allways use gm fluid and if you have limmted slip you need a bottle of additive.

Last edited by skypuppy99; 07-09-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Teching In

i had the exact same problem acouple of months ago, i had it checked out by 2 shops both told me that nothing was wrong. i did alittle bit more research and boom found the problem, when i put my 4:10's in i did not pack them in tight enough, i just jamed them in there better and no more noise now.

Quick Reply: Noise coming from back end of car