LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sticky throttle STILL won't go away

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky throttle STILL won't go away

i have a 96 lt1 and my throttle is sticking. ive searched high and low but still couldn't find anything that has helped. i've cleaned the throttle body and the blades with carb cleaner, i've scrubbed the inside of the TB with a towel, i've lubricated the throttle cable, and i've also sprayed dw-40 on the blade spring and the hinge on the gas pedal. nothing has helped. it seems to only stick when the car gets up to running temp. and i do not have any SES codes popping up. maybe my throttle cable is just f*cked up or something.. but it's really starting to get annoying. anything you guys would suggest i try before i go out and buy a new throttle cable? the car has ABS and TCS, not sure if that makes a difference or not. any help is appreciated!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isolate the problem first. Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and see if the cable moves smoothly when you press the pedal. That way you can determine whether it's the TB or the cable.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

i went out and disconnected the throttle cable like you said, and pressed down on the pedal. it took very little effort to push the pedal down, so i don't think the cable is the problem here.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

I would quit using WD-40 for any kind of a lubricant. Over time, it WILL gum up badly.
Have you checked the alignment of the cable/throttle body?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Launching!

how do you check the alignment of the cable/throttle body? there aren't any kinks in the cable.. and i haven't changed anything about the cable/throttle body since i've bought the car, the sticky throttle body just started happening recently.

Quick Reply: sticky throttle STILL won't go away