Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

not sure if i need a new clutch????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure if i need a new clutch????

hey guys, need some help deciding if my clutch is going out. My car is a nearly bone stock 02 ws6, m6, with the exception of 4.10 gears and a 75 shot. It only has 40k miles. the clutch has felt strong until i put the 75 shot on it. now, if i do a hard launch on the street (hasn't been to the track yet) the car doesn't seem like it pulls as hard as it used to, and on hot days, after a hard run, i loose pedal, it gets really soft, and doesn't disengage until at the floor. I can let the car sit for a while , and the pedal feel comes back. What really has me stumped is that i let the car sit for about a week, and drove it yesterday, and the clutch felt good. Lit the rear up in 1st and 2nd about 5 times and pedal felt ok after. I did get a burnt clutch smell though. so, if my clutch is slipping or going out, would it still be able to spin 1 + 2? On nitto 555r's? please comment, cause i'd hate to spend a grand on a clutch if i don't need it just yet.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes a clutch can be going out and still do a good burn out. When my spec 3 crapped out I did a real nice 1-2 burn out when pulling into the shop and I also had 555r's. Check to see if it slips in 5th or 6th gear under a load, if it does then your clutch is going bad.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

how will i know if it slips in 5th or 6th? i have noticed that it doesn't pull as hard as it used to.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Usually when a clutch is slipping you know it. Keep an eye on the tach and watch out for any jump in rpm that isn't in line with a jump in speed.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like the pressure plate is getting really hot and causing the diaphram spring to change characteristics. The only way a pressure plate can get that hot is if the disc is slipping.