question about a car purchase and paint defects

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about a car purchase and paint defects

hi guys, i recently bought a BMW last thursday and it was a certified pre-owned 2007 model. the day i drove it off the lot i thought i saw a dent on the hood. when the salesman scrutinized the spot, we couldn't see the dent anymore. this weekend i noticed it was there and called the salesman back and told him. he asked me to bring the car in tomorrow and his body work guy would look at the spot, but he couldn't promise they would fix it for free. also there are a couple of relatively deep scratches in the paint. not a huge deal and it happens when you buy used cars, but nothing they told me about before i bought the car (nor did i notice unfortunately).

i was going to ask the salesman if they could work anything out with me to fix the deep scratches and the dent, if they didn't do it for free. the story seems pretty simple here--they probably won't fix it, but i can try and ask for a deal from their body work team and hope for the best.

the catch to the story is that my father is the co-signer on the car. he forgot to sign some of the purchase documents and they had to overnight them back to him for a signature. in most cases they would not allow you to drive the car home without everything signed, but they allowed me to do so.

the salesman called today and said they need those documents right away. i am going in tomorrow for the dent to be inspected. i called my dad and told him to wait on sending in the documents--one of them was the "sold as is" document, stating that they are selling the car as is and are not liable to fix any outstanding issues that aren't covered under the warranty.

i feel like in this situation i have something to leverage. if they don't have the document back, can't i just tell them they have to fix the couple of paint areas that are problems and the dent? i need to know your opinion and please feel free to give me the best strategy to go about getting them to help me out here. i think i probably just need to tell them about the dent and the paint areas and ask if they will work something out with me. see if i can take it as far as possible without bringing up the "hey we never officially signed this form" argument, since probably once i bring that up, things could get heated between us.

please let me know your thoughts.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
9 Second Club

Sounds like you have them by the ***** so to speak. That's what they get for going against policy, I would say have them fix the problems for free.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you think i should say outright "hey we didn't sign this form yet?" or try to be nice about it first?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Ask them to fix it without bringing it up. They will try and screw you over I am sure. I would tell them to fix it or they can just keep the car if you would be willing to do so. There are many BMW's out there find you anotherone if they wont do it. Dont let them boss you around. You are the customer they are there to provide you a service. Remember that you aren't there to do them any favors.

But all in all it just depends on how bad you want it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would take it back and tell them to fix the issues if you brought them up at the time of the purchase, if you arent happy with it and they dont have all the documentation they are up **** creek, I wouldnt give them the paper work until you reach an agreement. My brother in law bought a used Mega cab Dodge Diesel and after trading his truck in on it he gets in the Dodge to leave and gets a mile or two down the road and the check engine light comes on, he realized that the radio was also messed up and someone took the door speakers out also. Anyway long story short he took it back and asked them to fix the issues, or put him in something else when they couldnt find anything he asked for his keys back to his trade, and they told him that his salesman had left for the day and had his keys with him. He had his truck back the next morning. Good luck with whatever you end up doing..youre paying for it so you should have it the way you want it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

the paint defects are minor in size, but aren't just simple touch-up jobs either (clear coat has a couple of chips in the front from rock damage, another deep scratch by the trunk area). i think any used car would have defects like this. i got an awesome deal on the car and an even better trade-in for my Z, so i got a good deal even if these things didn't get fixed.

also worth noting, one document not signed yet is the title document. if i said "hey, i didn't sign the 'sold as is' document yet, fix this stuff," could they turn around and say "hey, you didn't sign the title document yet either, give us the car back?" even though i've already traded in my Z and put another 5k down? (i'm financing through them)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

If they take the car back then you get the Z and your 5K back. Maybe it will be detailed already too!!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn last Thursday it probably already went though the auction sad to say...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha, i'm not real worried about getting the Z. just wanting to know what legally can and can't happen hear and what i should say to them about the bimmer.