Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 T/A LS6 install almost complete - Any suggestions for next stage(s) of project ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 T/A LS6 install almost complete - Any suggestions for next stage(s) of project ?

My 98 T/A's LS1 had 185K miles and ran dry of oil causing what I considered to be irreperable unknown damage internally. It still drove but now makes grinding noises and I'm afraid to drive it over 40mph. I'm not too dissapointed because
my future plan anyways was to either stroke the motor and rebuild it with forged internals etc or buy a new LS6. I was blessed to find a somewhat built very clean low mileage LS6 out of an 04 Z06 Vette with rotating assembly
LG Motorsports G5X3 114 LSA cam with 9k miles
Set of 853 heads that have been CNC ported and polished and milled to 59cc with valves, they flow like to afr 225's
stock set new pushrods (being replaced with sizing for proper geometry along with springs likely)
stock set rocker arms
coil packs
valve covers

So I am having this engine inspected (looks good & clean like new). I'm hoping to be to be at 500'sh HP at the crank when complete with L/T headers, torque converter, improved intake system and some other bolt ons.
Just wondering if anyone has any input on what other mods I should be looking at next that would make sense. My goal is for the car to be somewhat tame and streetable & most importantly safe but able to hold its own against Cobra's, Tuner's etc. Aside from the new engine, headers & intake upgrades the car is 100% stock. Any suggestions for next stage(s) of project to enhance this T/A??

Thanks in advance - I've had alot of luck with great feedback that I've used in prior projects when I was building Stangs before I woke up and saw the light with F-Body's power potential vs. Mustangs. No disrespect against Mustangs. I love any cars that owners take passion & pride in enhancing.

Thanks !
Tom - Ellenton

Last edited by bossho; 07-15-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find. You will enjoy it a lot. I had a similar build a few years ago, I bought a 24k mile LS6 with a mild cam and swapped it in my 99. It put down 425/405 with mild bolt ones and true duals.

You will need to be looking at suspension mods to help you get that power to the road, plus some decent tires. Stock LS1 have a hard enough time getting traction.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool- glad it was a positive experience for you :-)
Thanks was thinking that shocks, struts & sfc's would be next. Any suggestions or junk to stay away from you can help me in deciding on reasonable budget? I purchased the prothane master bushing kit its about 100 pieces kit was a couple hundred bucks but labor is going to be on the steep side to install it, do you think worth it?

Last edited by bossho; 07-15-2010 at 06:23 PM.