General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Best way to find a short?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to find a short?

This car is quickly becoming a nightmare.

It keeps blowing the 50 amp ignition fuse. Have been tracing wires and have been coming up empty handed. When I turn the key on with a new fuse in, the gauges will light up and the stereo will come on and everything. But when I turn the key to fire up the ignition, the fuse immediately blows.
I'm 99.99% sure there is a wire grounding out somewhere in the system, just not exactly sure where. Anyone have some ideas? I would think it has something to do with the starter since the fuse only blows once I try to turn it over.

This is becoming sucky very fast.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the expensive option is a "short finder" off the Snap-On or Matco truck. Saved my bacon a time or two. The cheap option is to put a paper clip where the fuse goes, and then look for the smoke (if you think it's sucky now, try this!), IDK what the middle ground is.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disconnect the pos battery cable, and try to find continuity between the neg bat post and the suspect wires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Starting.pdf (66.2 KB, 109 views)
Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

I'd try disconnecting the starter and then turn the key. If it doesn't blow then you'l know if it's the starter.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Finally actually got UNDER the car yesterday and found the thing. A wire going to the starter had melted because it was too close to the headers. Replaced it and will be heat wrapping it and tying it away from the headers.
The power wire was actually somewhat close to getting fried as well. That could have been pretty bad...