Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Oiling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Exclamation HELP!!! Oiling Issue

OK we have a brand new TSP LQ9 short block, melling oil pump, LS7 lifters, comp push rods, stock rockers. We have only started the motor a hand full of times and idled it. Started to hear a squeak on the driver side, so we pulled the valve cover and saw some glitter by the front most rocker. Pulled all of the rockers on both sides, pulled all of the push rods on both sides cleaned it all made sure the oil passages were good and clean, then put it all back together.

BTW when we pulled the push rod from the bad rocker, oil came out but it didn't make it to the top.

Put it all together, hooked up the oil pressure gauge, started it saw about 40psi at an 800RPM idle, gave it a lil gas (maybe 1500rpm) good pressure (closer to 50psi) and then started to hear the squeak again. Then we drained the break in oil, changed the filter and put in regular 5W30 oil and started it, same thing. Same oil pressure, same squeak. My only thought is something with the lifters, but before we go and pull the head lets hear what you all think.

Thanks in advance,

Sean
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just an obvious one....did you blow through the push rod to make sure it wasn't plugged? If its not i would set the push rod back in the hole and see if you have any spring to the lifter. Did you soak the lifters in oil before installing them? It does sound like one problem or the other. It could be possible one of the oil gallies in the block is clogged as well. Good luck with that!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taspeed
just an obvious one....did you blow through the push rod to make sure it wasn't plugged? If its not i would set the push rod back in the hole and see if you have any spring to the lifter. Did you soak the lifters in oil before installing them? It does sound like one problem or the other. It could be possible one of the oil gallies in the block is clogged as well. Good luck with that!
Thank you for the reply! We did pull all of the push rods and clean them/blow them out (looked through for debris too). We pulled the head on that side and did find a piece of metal but dont know where from. We did not soak the lifters before installing, but have the ones on that side soaking now. Do you think we should pull the lifters from the other side and soak them as well? So far we dont know of any issues on that side.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think i would as long as you can't see any push rods that appear to not be getting oil. You probably should....but i can't say that I would if there isn't any issues
Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM
9 Second Club

BUMP!!! We are pulling the passenger side head to do the same thing. If this dosent solve it, what is our next option? How do we know if a lifter is bad? What about the rockers? Anything else?

Sean