LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ATI harmonic damper installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATI harmonic damper installation questions

Q1: Do I have to use an LT1 specific crank key or can I just use a conventional SBC key?

Q2: Is removal of the timing cover required for the hub spacer and the crank key installation?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

A specific key is used on the crank gear and reluctor (spacer that you are referring to). Timing cover will have to be off to install.

A keyed hub or dampener can be installed with a normal key in the front slot. If it is not keyed, then you obviously need no key in the front slot.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

no, sorry for not being so clear in my first post.
Actually its a spacer that is supplied with the ATI Hub/Damper that goes in place of the reluctor wheel.
my reluctor wheel was deleted, so ill have to use the spacer supplied by ATI, so i wonder if i can just slide the spacer on and push it in along with the hub without having to remove the front cover?

Last edited by monster81; 07-31-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ATI dampener is keyed, that is needed because it is degreed for timing reference. Normal sbc keys. Be sure to lube it before you install it. You do have an install tool, right? Don't try to knock it on! I don't know about a spacer. I use ATI dampeners, but have never seen or had a spacer. Is that for a single row timing set? I would not use one on mine, I use an electric water pump and Roll Master timing set. Best I have seen.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
The ATI dampener is keyed, that is needed because it is degreed for timing reference. Normal sbc keys. Be sure to lube it before you install it. You do have an install tool, right? Don't try to knock it on! I don't know about a spacer. I use ATI dampeners, but have never seen or had a spacer. Is that for a single row timing set? I would not use one on mine, I use an electric water pump and Roll Master timing set. Best I have seen.
TBH im not sure either, but this is what the ATI catalog says ,a spacer is supplied with the damper assembly

Last edited by monster81; 07-31-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

ok here i qoute u this from the ATI catalog:
"Dampers furnished with #916320 hub spacer. For ‘97 & up Camaro/Firebird or ‘96 & up Corvette engine with a reluctor wheel; discard spacer provided."
Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
A specific key is used on the crank gear and reluctor (spacer that you are referring to). Timing cover will have to be off to install.

A keyed hub or dampener can be installed with a normal key in the front slot. If it is not keyed, then you obviously need no key in the front slot.
which type of key do i need for the front slot, short or long key?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by monster81
which type of key do i need for the front slot, short or long key?
Should be the same key as the crank gear uses, a short one. I thought ATI's instructions you quoted were very clear. If you have the single row timing gear and no crank sensor reluctor you use the spacer. Double row chain, or '96, '97 car with the reflector in place, you don't use it.

Quick Reply: ATI harmonic damper installation questions