PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L98 conversion, won't run. ?? Checked all

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 conversion, won't run. ?? Checked all

G'day guys. I recently completed an l98 (Aussie 6l) conversion on a friends 2000 model commodore. It was a factory ls1 5.7l. I have switched reluctors, am running the black CAS, creamy colored cam sensor and 1 window cam sprocket. I have checked all my connections and earth straps and have also loaded a tune from a car with the same mods and yet everytime we crank it, it runs for a second with a horrible miss and backfires through the intake. Now I changed the cam sprocket because the builder decided to use a 4 window cam sprocket when he was told to use a 1 window. So the timing marks are spot on. Is it possible my reluctor wheel on the crank is on backwards? Or have i missed something. Also I re used ls1 knock sensors I drilled and tapped the block on the ls2 location. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Regards Nick
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it would be easy to put the reluctor wheel on backwards.

I always print out a picture I have taken or compare to one of the cranks laying around the shop when I change the reluctor wheel.

You have to use the 1X cam gear with a 24X reluctor, not the 4X.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Speartech
Yes, it would be easy to put the reluctor wheel on backwards.

I always print out a picture I have taken or compare to one of the cranks laying around the shop when I change the reluctor wheel.

You have to use the 1X cam gear with a 24X reluctor, not the 4X.
Yeah I know, considering I didn't do the modifications I just fitted it. I removed the cam sensor and I saw the 4x cam sprocket so I changed it already to the 1x. I removed the CAS and it indeed has had the reluctor to swapped to 24x. It still backfires when you try and fire. Some plugs are black some are soaked wet. It honestly feels like the firing order is wrong
Old 08-07-2010, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Hi, Im dimo i just decided to register properley. Well after much deliberating, checking pin outs, all signals. The engine came back out of the car yesterday, to reveal a damaged, back to front reluctor. A new reluctor was purchased. installed by me this time. Engine fired first go. Ill post an image as to which way its meant to go for those who are interested.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Quick Reply: L98 conversion, won't run. ?? Checked all