LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Problem getting my motor onto a BMR k-member

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Problem getting my motor onto a BMR k-member

I set about getting my motor back into my car today and already ran into a problem getting the motor onto the k-member (doing the "from the bottom" method for putting it back into the car).

First off I got the driver side motor poly mount/clamshell mounted to the block, then the passenger side "frame stand" bolted to the block (the poly insert on the passenger side is built into the BMR k-member).

I set the motor down over the k-member, got the bolt through the driver side mount (leaving it a little loose so I could still maneuver the block a bit) then tried to set it down to line up the passenger side mount - it's completely off, looking at it from top down it looks like the frame stand on the block is about 3 inches too far forward from the mount on the k-member. I've looked at it about 20 times thinking I must have missed something really simple but the k-member just seems to be built wrong or it's the wrong one or something. I've tried tilting the motor around every which way but there's no way it's gonna line up. The motor mount clamshells/frame stand are the original factory ones and I double checked the part numbers to make sure I didn't put the wrong parts on or something stupid.

I'm pretty mad here because this is the second k-member from BMR I've had, the first one had a problem with the passenger side mounts for the lower control arm being about 1/4" too close together. They sent me this new one which the control arm went into right the k-member no problem, but now this...

Anyone have any thoughts?? Am I crazy or is it a problem with the k-member?

Thanks in advance!

Pics:

Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure but it looks like you have the mount upside down on the motor. Will it bolt on if you flip it over and move it to the boss on the block just ahead of the knock sensor? You will have 2 bolts on the bottom and one on top like the mount on the other side has.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Rockstar

That is a pretty bad misalignment. I hope they get you a new one for free.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

The passenger side is on wrong. http://shbox.com/1/motor_mounts.jpg heres how its supposed to be
Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sigh. I knew it would be something stupid! Thanks for linking the pics, I was trying to find pics like those but couldn't, guess that serves me right for not looking at Shoebox's site in the first place, lol.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

yep upside down! did it fit now that its on right?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

everyone beat me to it, don't feel bad i have done this exact thing once myself.

Quick Reply: Problem getting my motor onto a BMR k-member