Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Test reverse lockout Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test reverse lockout Solenoid

New member that has been lurking around for awhile.
I'm looking at a 98 Z that will not go into reverse ( I have read several threads that talk about problems with the lockout Solenoid ) Is there a way to quickly check this Solenoid out to see if that is the problem. Car is really nice other wise and can be had at a good price just don't want to start out with some big problems. Thanks for any help
Old 08-11-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Apply 12v to the solenoid pins. It should engage (retract). If the plunger doesn't move, it's bad.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Can this be done easily on the car
Old 08-12-2010, 05:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An easy way to see if it is actually working is to push the shifter over in the neutral slot and see how far over it easily goes with the key off and the car sitting still. Notice how far over it moves easily, the release the pressure from the shifter. Now turn the key on with the car still sitting still and move the shifter to the right again. If it went farther this time than before the lockout solenoid is working.

If it doesn't go all the way over with the key on and the car sitting still, you may have a blown fuse. Its in one of the engine compartment fuse boxes and labeled "eng sens". That is how the solenoid gets key on power and the ground is supplied by the pcm so that the solenoid can only release at low speed. If its getting the power and ground to the solenoid but doens't operate the solenoid itself is bad.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info Jonathan
Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
An easy way to see if it is actually working is to push the shifter over in the neutral slot and see how far over it easily goes with the key off and the car sitting still. Notice how far over it moves easily, the release the pressure from the shifter. Now turn the key on with the car still sitting still and move the shifter to the right again. If it went farther this time than before the lockout solenoid is working.

If it doesn't go all the way over with the key on and the car sitting still, you may have a blown fuse. Its in one of the engine compartment fuse boxes and labeled "eng sens". That is how the solenoid gets key on power and the ground is supplied by the pcm so that the solenoid can only release at low speed. If its getting the power and ground to the solenoid but doens't operate the solenoid itself is bad.

You are a lifesaver. I just had the same problem.. pulled the fuse and sure enough it was bad... I was just about to call you guys. Nice to know i have good help so close by.

Quick Reply: Test reverse lockout Solenoid