LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle/cutting out problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle/cutting out problem.

Ok. Ever since the car has been back together it hasn't been quite right. It has always seemed to idle a little high (1000 rpm while it's set at 750) and the "cammed" sound didn't seem as defined as it should have. Anyway it seemed to run ok as I was getting it broken in. After the first 40 miles or so, It started to fall on it's face and cut out. the alternator went out so i assumed maybe it wasn't getting enough spark, but when I put the new alternator in, the problem persisted. I only drove it another 15 miles after the alternator was fixed, but it is cutting out so much that it really isn't drivable. It threw a MAF code so I replaced that when i replaced a bad water pump yesterday, still no luck. Now it is idleing really incosistantly. Sort of pulsates between 1500 or so and then goes down and almost dies. I was thinking it may be a loose ground, Which ones would cause a problem like this? Also I don't have that emmisions hose that goes from the pass valve cover to the TB anymore. I haven't capped that port on the TB yet, I doubt that would cause the problem but i was thinking it might have been the reason for the MAF code. Anyway, I'm at a loss on this one. Any ideas?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you adjusted the idle screw on the throttle body? Is it an auto because if it is how is it shifting? My car did this when I bought it but the trans also wasnt shifting until 3000 rpms. Ended up being a bad tps sensor and the idle screw was turned all the way in not giving an accurate reading.

But then again it also threw a TPS code.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Launching!

I haven't messed with the idle screw. TPS activity looks correct in freescan. I could see it being the idle screw if was just a bad idle, but I can't seem to think of a way it would affect the driving. I got a spare intake from pull-a-part the other day so I may swap the TBs if i get bored just to see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Launching!

After a quick drive it's back to just idling high, not trying to die on me anymore. I think it needed gas ( gauge is a little off ) Still cuts out though
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Ok update. All ses lights went off tonight after i fiddled with fuses and the maf connection. Ran awesome for about 10 miles. Now it's cuts out in the high rpm and i'm getting "maf malfunction" and "TPS high" Gonna swap the TPS and go from there. This car seems to hate me no matter how hard I try, but i'm not giving up lol. Any other ideas? Oh and my tach and mph guage backlight isn't working. Don't know if that could be related to the engine electrical systems in any way?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

My car is just as frustating, hasnt run perfect once since i rebuilt it...

Quick Reply: Idle/cutting out problem.