Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need recommendations for a lightweight flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need recommendations for a lightweight flywheel

What are you guys using for a lightweight flywheel? I'm not particularly concerned about noise, the car (hybrid porsche 944) is mostly my track car.

I'm also looking for a matching clutch, needs to hold ~400rwhp or so. I do drive the car to the track so I don't want a particularly heavy clutch pedal feel...

TIA!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming since its in a porche that this is a road cousre car. If so and if you have the money and want something light with a light pedal, I would sugest a twin. The twin will let you rev faster than a single of the same weight. A twins moment of inertia is less because the mass is closer to centerline. You dont need a high dollar one to only hold 400 rwhp but it will be lighter than a single, most likely have a lighter pedal than a single, and should take anything you can through at it since most twins are rated to at least 600 some odd ft lbs. Maybe something like a Fidanza 6.5 or a Zoom. ACT sells one that people seem to like. Monster is coming out with some that will hold twice the power and not break the bank too bad.

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to clutches but I have been through a couple and I like my twin the most thus far. There are singles that will more than get the job done but if you track the car a lot, I think you would like the way the twin winds up fast. It makes rev matching a brease and for the most part have zero chatter so its nice to drive in traffic.

I run an Exedy twin that weighs in at 35lbs and I run that in a 4000lb CTS-V. I dont have any problems in traffic and the clutch has performed flawlessly. It does take some getting used to being so light, but its not bad and mines in a heavy car.

If this is going into a 1/4 car, you may want a single with a little more weight behind it.

Last edited by raven154; 08-17-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
FormerVendor

For a Track oriented application I would suggest our Aluminum flywheel (SC75A) which will provide less Mass and subsequently lower rotational inertia. This will allow the car to be more responsive relative to throttle input and will also enable the car to put as much of the produced power to the wheel by reducing the drag of its rotating assembly. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

I got an ls7 with a fidenza 12.5lb, get them balanced together before install