Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure, what next? help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure, what next? help!!

I have a 99 ss, mods in sig, i've had low oil pressure on my engine, but the other night, it dropped low enough that it's hovering just above the red mark on the gauge at idle. I changed the oil pump, and o ring, and did an oil change. I use 5w30 oil and it is still sitting just above the red at idle after the car has been driven for a few minutes and the oil heats up. I read that when driving, if you take the revs higher and the oil pressure drops that your bearings are prob. shot. My oil pressure will go up until about 4k and then begins to drop off. I put some really thick oil additive in to help protect, since I am now, after doing a bunch of research, realizing that 5w30 is too thin for my car. If I am going to change my bearings, what is the easiest way to do this. Can I get away with not pulling the engine, and dropping the cross member, taking the oil pan off, pulling the crank and changing the bearings? Will I need to get the crank machined? This is my DD, and I might be able to borrow a car for a few days. But worst case scenario, I could buy a cheap beater car. In addition, I bought a stock pump from autozone and installed it and got low pressure. so then I took that off and installed a SLP high flow pump, and got the same result. Both times I am pretty confident the o ring was installed correctly.
Thanks for any advice in advance
Justin
Old 09-01-2010, 02:36 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it is possible to do this, but very very difficult. The rod bearings wouldn't be too bad, but the mains would be a royal pain. The front and rear main bearings would be a major problem because I don't see how you would be able to get those main caps out. Have you checked your oil for metal flakes or shavings?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

What do I need to check the oil filter for metal flakes? Cut it open?
Justin
Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah cut it open and take a look. If its a bearing issue there is a good chance you will see gold colored metal flakes or shavings.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Considering wear patterns I have seen in most of these engines I would bet cam bearings not bottom end, those won't be replaced in the car