Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Blown Head Gasket

How do you check for a blown head gasket? I am having a cooling problem and think I have a blown head gasket.
Will a compression test show if you have a bad gasket?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Bowling; 09-09-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Whats the cooling problem your having? If you have water in the oil, or if your losing water with no signs of a leak, you may have a head gasket problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

It starting overheating all at once. I have checked the TS and replaced the water pump. I do not see any signs of water in the oil but I am losing water with no leaks.
How can I tell which side is bad or leaking?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Bowling; 09-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could get a coolant pressure tester and apply pressure to the system and see if any of the cyc fill up. Check spark plugs for corrosion or coolant tint to the plug. They also make a kit to check for combustion leaks.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-Combusti.../dp/B0007ZDRUI
Old 09-06-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sleeping
You could get a coolant pressure tester and apply pressure to the system and see if any of the cyc fill up. Check spark plugs for corrosion or coolant tint to the plug. They also make a kit to check for combustion leaks.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-Combusti.../dp/B0007ZDRUI
Do they make a tester that tells me what side is leaking? Thanks for the info. I guess this tool would tell me if I have a blown head gasket.

Bill
Old 09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You ever figure it out? My car stated to do the same thing yesterday, over heating out of no where, with no sigh of a leak. I checked the oil on the dipstick and it was clear like new oil, which I expected since I did an oil change 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

I found a bad heater core.

Bill
Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Default blown head gasket

i have a problem also but not sure how to start a new thread, 2001 ss camaro 6-speed. bought in az drove back to ca no problems. seen weird brownish color in overflow tank, took radiatior out of a 2000 ss flushed it and installed a 165 thermostat. was driving and started spewing fluid out of the overflow? the car will not do that if i have the heater going full blast. i started it today left it running without the rad cap on stayed at 210 like normal but started bubble over turned off the car and started spraying out of the radiator. again the car will not do that if i keep the heater on. it only starting doing it after i replaced the radiator, thermo, tranny cooler and the power steering tube all parts off of a 2000 with 28000 miles. also did the coolant test with the blue fluid to check if there where any gasses leaking into the coolant system it was good.
please help
Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluepitbull
i have a problem also but not sure how to start a new thread, 2001 ss camaro 6-speed. bought in az drove back to ca no problems. seen weird brownish color in overflow tank, took radiatior out of a 2000 ss flushed it and installed a 165 thermostat. was driving and started spewing fluid out of the overflow? the car will not do that if i have the heater going full blast. i started it today left it running without the rad cap on stayed at 210 like normal but started bubble over turned off the car and started spraying out of the radiator. again the car will not do that if i keep the heater on. it only starting doing it after i replaced the radiator, thermo, tranny cooler and the power steering tube all parts off of a 2000 with 28000 miles. also did the coolant test with the blue fluid to check if there where any gasses leaking into the coolant system it was good.
please help
The high boiling point of coolant is partly due to the fact that it is under pressure. If you leave it running with the radiator cap off it will boil over. I do not think that is your only issue though as you are over heating when not removing heat from your coolant ( via the heater ).
Makes me wonder if your fans are kicking on? Check that first.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ are your cooling fans coming on?

Never mind someone beat me to it
Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF the you put a 165 stat in the car and you did not have the pcm retuned to have the fan settings come on earlier, your cars fans will never come on to cool the fluid in the radiator. How ever you are doing minimal cooling having the blower motor cool off the fluid coming thur the heater core. Put a stock thermostat back in the car. (2) 10mm bolts and see if you are still having the same problem'
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Those fans should come on regardless of thermostat, I think it's around 225 and the off by 215. If you swapped the radiators (regardless of how much we try) then there WILL be air in the cooling system. Hot air expands, blah blah blah. How many times has the engine completely warmed up and how times have you topped off the radiator and reservoir after an overnight cooling? Squeezing top radiator hose helps air bubbles come out, so does rocking the chassis.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Teching In

in regards to what I posted above. I definitely am not the most knowledgeable person about this subject, and legitimately appreciate being intelligently corrected.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket