Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some Lifters wont accept pre-load, frozen at top

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default some Lifters wont accept pre-load, frozen at top

a few of the lifters wont accept preload and appear to be frozen at the top. i know this is because their is oil or assembly lube trapped where the spring is. when i bolt the rockers down with these frozen lifters it causes those valves to hang. i know when i start the engine it will all pressurize and accept the proper pre determined pushrod preload, but the issue is that the valves hang open quite a bit and cause PTV problems so starting the engine like this is not an option. any help or tricks that anyone knows would be helpful. I don't want to have to pull the heads off just to tear apart the lifters to bleed them.
thanks

lifters are new/used (300 miles on them im told) LS7 lifters i think they are Eaton's
Old 11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, never had this happen; weird. IDK, if you have an old pushrod (not being used) try heating the tip & then stick it down through the pushrod hole & onto the lifter. See if the heat reduces the viscosity of the lubricant enough to free 'em up. Leave it on there for a few minutes, then see if you can push the spring down.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or put them in an oven @200* for 10 minutes, frost and enjoy!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I would probably just roll the motor over a couple of times, and let the valve spring pressures bleed the oil out and free the plunger up for you.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a used set of Gen I Comp roller lifters once that were 'frozen'. Turned out they were full of gunk. Made a jig to hold them, put them in my 20T press and used an old pushrod and carb cleaner to unstick them. Once freed up, I soaked them in WD40 and plunged them numerous times with my jig until they flowed clean oil...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPH
I would probably just roll the motor over a couple of times, and let the valve spring pressures bleed the oil out and free the plunger up for you.
tryed that, it helped out a tiny bit maybe allowed two of them to accept .020" (checked with dial indicator) of preload. I also turned the crank to compress the valve springs on the ones that were froze and left them for two days and nights but it didn't help at all. so i guess now the only option is to pull them back out disassemble them, clean them out, lube them up and then re-install.
im just pissed that i didn't buy the re usable ARP bolts the first time... now i have to buy new head bolts and i suspect new head gaskets... what do you think am i safe re-using the same head gaskets. I never started the motor just turned it over by hand?

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 11-29-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
tryed that, it helped out a tiny bit maybe allowed them to accept .020" (checked with dial indicator) of preload. I also turned the crank to compress the valve springs on the ones that were froze and left them for two days and nights but it didn't help at all. so i guess now the only option is to pull them back out disassemble them, clean them out, lube them up and then re-install.
im just pissed that i didn't buy the re usable ARP bolts the first time... now i have to buy new head bolts and i suspect new head gaskets... what do you think am i safe re-using the same head gaskets. I never started the motor just turned it over by hand?
Hmmm..didn't you say that a PTV issue wouldn't allow the engine to be turned over due to no pre-load? Guess that wasn't really the case.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Hmmm..didn't you say that a PTV issue wouldn't allow the engine to be turned over due to no pre-load? Guess that wasn't really the case.
I used a set of 7.350 pushrods to turn the motor over by hand and let the Vales be open on certain lifters to try to bleed them. Since then I have removed all rockers and push rods
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

7.350 would be my zero lash length. I have 7.450 I want to run with
Old 11-29-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

They are really easy to take apart and clean ,,,,,,,,,then I put about 5 or 6 drops of new oil in each 1 then put back together . You can do all 16 in about an hour ,,,,,,,,,no worries . Yes I would use the head gaskets again ,,,,,,,,,,,,they start out depending on which ones maybe .060" then You install them and they are say .058" , You take heads off and the gaskets stay pretty much right at .058" then You re-install the heads and the gaskets are again at .058" and they are not going to change ,,,,,,,,head gaskets are very durable . Just make sure not to damage them when removing and re-installing heads .

Last edited by chrisfrost; 11-29-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
They are really easy to take apart and clean ,,,,,,,,,then I put about 5 or 6 drops of new oil in each 1 then put back together . You can do all 16 in about an hour ,,,,,,,,,no worries . Yes I would use the head gaskets again ,,,,,,,,,,,,they start out depending on which ones maybe .060" then You install them and they are say .058" , You take heads off and the gaskets stay pretty much right at .058" then You re-install the heads and the gaskets are again at .058" and they are not going to change ,,,,,,,,head gaskets are very durable . Just make sure not to damage them when removing and re-installing heads .
cool, well re-using the head gaskets will save me a bit of cash. still i don't understand why some lifters compress while others don't budge at all. i checked over my old LS1 lifters that i removed from the motor and some of them push in easily while others don't move at all. i took one of them apart that didn't move at all, i removed the c clip, plunger and washer that was just under the plunger. the oil cavity was dry so i used a paper clip to push the check ball down and to the side while simultaneously pushing down on the lifter cylinder and out poped oil from the check ball compartment, after that the lifter worked normally.
So im sure this is what is wrong with my new lifters.

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 11-29-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
cool, well re-using the head gaskets will save me a bit of cash. still i don't understand why some lifters compress while others don't budge at all. i checked over my old LS1 lifters that i removed from the motor and some of them push in easily while others don't move at all. i took one of them apart that didn't move at all, i removed the c clip, plunger and washer that was just under the plunger. the oil cavity was dry so i used a paper clip to push the check ball down and to the side while simultaneously pushing down on the lifter cylinder and out poped oil from the check ball compartment, after that the lifter worked normally.
So im sure this is what is wrong with my new lifters.
based on your findings,if i ever encounter the problem,i'll try brazing an old pushrod to an air blowgun so i can reach down to the lifter and give it a blast while pushing. it'll be worth a try.

Quick Reply: some Lifters wont accept pre-load, frozen at top