Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issue - Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue - Headlights

This is an '02 TA

Problem #1 The headlights flicker. Actually not really an on/off flicker, it's more like fluttering. They dim and brighten and it usually worsens while driving. No problems with the running lights or fog lights.

Problem #2 It eats up headlights on the regular. I've gone through about 4 this year. Mostly on the passenger side, but the driver side also. No problems with the running lights or fog lights.

Problem #3 My passenger side flip-up light is nonfunctional as of last week. Only the drivers side flips up.

Before the flip-up problem, I took it in to have an electrical diagnostic. They told me there was a bad electrical connector, which I bought and refused them installing it as they wanted close to $200 for installation. It's a male to female connector with 5 wires on each side of various gauges. I couldn't find it under hood on first look.

Where can I find this connector so I can replace it? Does anyone know off hand if that is the case or is there some other troubleshooting I need to look into? Did the motor for my flip-up light go out or could this be related to the electrical issue?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a similar flickering or fluttering of my headlights which worsened while driving. It turned out to be a bad alternator...i changed that and all was stupendous. As far as your other problems, im not sure...im no electrical expert by any means
Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Teching In

What made you check your alternator? I don't think my alternator is bad I've replaced plenty of them during my life and these are not alternator symptoms.

The car has had 2 front end accidents in the last year (not my fault), so I'm thinking something shorted. Hopefully the connector I bought is the right part.

Originally Posted by silversrtman
i had a similar flickering or fluttering of my headlights which worsened while driving. It turned out to be a bad alternator...i changed that and all was stupendous. As far as your other problems, im not sure...im no electrical expert by any means
If anyone has any insight, please chime in. I'm getting sick of a lack of responses on here whenever I post a thread. Either the people on this forum don't know anything, or the people that do don't read my threads. Veeeery frustrating.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

I think its ALL related to corrosion in the plugs.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Plugs of? Care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A
I think its ALL related to corrosion in the plugs.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem on an 02. Alternator fixed it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Well since you are the second one to say alternator I'll go stick a multimeter to my battery while running and see what happens, but my battery never falls below 13 volts on the dash so I don't see how the alternator could be bad.

Originally Posted by neverenuff
I had the same problem on an 02. Alternator fixed it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Teching In

It can't be the alternator. The battery is not falling below 14 volts with the car running. I sat there for 10 minutes and it never dropped.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by the.palmetto
What made you check your alternator? I don't think my alternator is bad I've replaced plenty of them during my life and these are not alternator symptoms.

The car has had 2 front end accidents in the last year (not my fault), so I'm thinking something shorted. Hopefully the connector I bought is the right part.

If anyone has any insight, please chime in. I'm getting sick of a lack of responses on here whenever I post a thread. Either the people on this forum don't know anything, or the people that do don't read my threads. Veeeery frustrating.
For one check your attitude at the door. Maybe more people would be willing to help you.

Secondly, the alternator has an internal voltage regulator. If it's not doing its job, you will get a flicker, and yes, if you put on a meter it may show a steady 14 volts (I would assume you are at least using a meter and not relying on the inaccurate dummy gauge in your instrument panel. I also assume you are measuring at the alternator output and not the battery output. Hopefully these are safe assumptions). You would need an oscilloscope then to check for noise in the voltage output that a meter will not see.

So you can either spend $50 on a used alternator from the parts section as has been suggested which will fix the problem, or ignore everyone's advice on here and then complain that you get no help.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

It can't be the alternator. The battery is not falling below 14 volts with the car running. I sat there for 10 minutes and it never dropped.
I guess I should've read this first and I would've seen my above assumption was wrong. Put a digital meter on the alternator output and see if you get a voltage swing. Testing the battery isn't going to do you any good.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For what it's worth, the grounds that are most likely causing this issue are the ones on either side of the lid on the core support. Replace the ring terminals on those wires and make sure you cut the wire back far enough to get into some good copper before you crimp on the new connectors.

Remember, this place is only as valuable as its knowledgebase, if you are not getting responses then you should at least be glad that there's not folks on here just giving suggestions without knowing what they are talking about. The truth is nobody on here owes anybody anything and any information is being given out of a love for the subject matter, be thankful, or ask for a refund.....

Last edited by slow96z; 09-13-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this with my passenger side headlight . half the time it would not go up, but the light would come on. Sometimes while driving all of my headlights would go dim.

It turned out to be the wiring harness on that side, when i pulled it apart it was full of water and the pins were corroded and broken. I ended up just cutting the harness out and connecting the wires directly. Taped it up good with electrical tape and I haven't had a problem since.

I plan on replacing the connector sometime, but I wouldn't use an OEM harness, it sits right under the seam in your hood and headlight and water falls right on it and collects in there. I'll be looking for something water-tight like for a boat or something.

to find it, manually raise the pass. headlight and look down below it, you cant miss it.

Last edited by mike171562; 09-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Teching In

You need to check your own *** because I didn't inject any attitude into that comment. If that's how you took it then that's on you buddy.

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
For one check your attitude at the door. Maybe more people would be willing to help you.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Teching In

I understand, you have a point. Not trying to lash out or anything, it's just frustration more than anything.

Originally Posted by slow96z
Remember, this place is only as valuable as its knowledgebase, if you are not getting responses then you should at least be glad that there's not folks on here just giving suggestions without knowing what they are talking about. The truth is nobody on here owes anybody anything and any information is being given out of a love for the subject matter, be thankful, or ask for a refund.....
Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Ok will check the connectors mentioned as well as voltage at the alternator. I will be shocked if this alternator is bad but who knows right. The flip up headlight problem has to be caused by something else though, I doubt the alternator is the culprit there but I won't hold my breath.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to check your own *** because I didn't inject any attitude into that comment. If that's how you took it then that's on you buddy.
Check my own ***, what in the blue **** does that even mean?

I'm getting sick of a lack of responses on here whenever I post a thread. Either the people on this forum don't know anything, or the people that do don't read my threads.
Yeah, I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't read that and just be itching to offer you help...
Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

I just let u know my experience. I had the same symptoms except i never had a problem with the headlight not flipping up. I checked all grounds and connections first. A guy that rebuilds alternators said it was probably a bad/dirty brush. So I replaced the alternator and fixed my problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are your dash lights doing a little flickering, pulsating getting bright/dim rapidly? If so, it might related to your headlight issue and when I had the former the alternator replacement fixed it.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

What in the blue **** does blue **** mean? Get off my thread you ******* troll.

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Check my own ***, what in the blue **** does that even mean?