Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reluctor Ring Installation question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Reluctor Ring Installation question

Allright fellas, I built a 383 got it running but it had a miss above 3500 RPMs and gave a crankshaft position fault. after alot of trouble shooting it was found to be a bent reluctor wheel. Removed the crank and sure enough the wheel was bent pretty good too. I bought a new wheel and then took it and the crank to a place that is supposed to have a killer reputation when it comes to LS engines. I got the crank back 270 dollars later. Put it all back together and tried starting the motor, just turns over, No starting, and then throws the same crank fault. replaced sensor traced all the wires back to the PCM all is good.

Here Is my question, HOW can you tell if the reluctor ring has been installed incorrectly, I have the 24 tooth wheel, and have been told that they can be installed backwards,?? I want to be sure before I make any assumptions or accusations. I have checked my service manual from front to back and can find no info??
Old 09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SEARCH! There are several recent threads about this, including at least two with pix of the reluctor wheel indexing...
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well as a search is good I will also tell you that when using stroker kits you need to make sure the back rods clear the reluctor wheel. I believe they have parts specifically for this purpose
Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
well as a search is good I will also tell you that when using stroker kits you need to make sure the back rods clear the reluctor wheel. I believe they have parts specifically for this purpose
Yes, Thats why I bought parts exactly for the stroker build, the callies crank, callies rods, and wiseco stroker pistons, I have no mechanical interferance with the crank/rods/pistons/block assembly.

S10Xgn:::I will do a search again,, maybe I am not searching for the right phrase, I searched reluctor ring install and reluctor wheel install, couldnt find what I am looking for,,,,,If you found them that quick a link sure would help.
Still have no answer of how to check and see if the wheel is on correctly, I did call callies and was told they use a stock GM reluctor wheel for the stroker crank.

Last edited by RARON455; 09-13-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html

Try searching reluctor wheel through google - it yields lots of LS1Tech hits.

Quick Reply: Reluctor Ring Installation question