Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about power from Borla Adjustable Exhaust-has to do with plates

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about power from Borla Adjustable Exhaust-has to do with plates

My Z28 has the Borla Adj. Catback on it, I left it with the second smallest plate that was already in it when I got the car. I like how quiet it is when I want it to be, and how deep and throaty it is when I want it to be. I haven't had an exhaust on my cars like this before that seems like it just has an up and down volume control on it.

On other boards, I've seen people saying they got noticeable power gains from just leaving the wide open plate in. These are on normal cars like lid, and exhaust.

My question is, I know these cars get decent power from free-er flowing exhausts, but is there a big enough difference to go and pull the plate out? My only reason for not doing it yet is because I don't want to have an annoyingly loud exhaust if there's no difference.

Obviously I'm not expecting some 40 horsepower gain, but just wondering if it's worth it.

Car is just 3 inch borla catback, slp lid, and a bunch of suspension work along with a clutch.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That plate is just like an exhaust cutout because it is before entering the muffler wide open plate is just like being dumped, then you have two plates with different size holes "partially closed", and a completely solid plate. It all has to do with how much back pressure you want to run
Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really ought to add an electric cutout like DMH, then you can change it all the time at will, from the driver seat. This is what I plan to do on my Borla adjustable on my RS. Generally, the cutout closed = more low-end torque, cutout open = more upper end HP.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put it this way, the gain will be very small, the muffler is a 3" straight through design. still not much retriction.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anything noticeable, it will more than likely be the placebo effect. Choose your favorite sound..
Old 09-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
You really ought to add an electric cutout like DMH, then you can change it all the time at will, from the driver seat. This is what I plan to do on my Borla adjustable on my RS. Generally, the cutout closed = more low-end torque, cutout open = more upper end HP.
Yea I was already going to do that before I started getting curious about the plates.

I have a link saved to get a e cutout made for the borla 3 inch adjustable, guess I'll order that and just save myself any annoyance.

Thanks everyone for the information.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i havent dyno tested open vs close but i have felt different while racing with the cutout close vs open

Quick Reply: Question about power from Borla Adjustable Exhaust-has to do with plates