Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter relay wire y/bk

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default starter relay wire y/bk

on the starter relay in my 03 tahoe fuseblock the starter relay has the nuetral safety wire powered on p and n and the other secondary relay leg goes to the yellow and black wire into the pcm. if i ground the y/bk wire it should activate the starter? now my main question is can i use that y/bk wire repinned to run my fans or does the pcm need to "see" any thing??
Old 09-29-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the PCM needs to see anything. From the factory, the PCM activates both legs of the starter relay (the positive and the ground) but this isn't really necessary. You can bypass the PCM starting functions if you like and just wire it so the starter relay comes on when you want it on. Obviously, if you do it that way, you should incorporate the neutral safety switch, too... it sounds like you already did. That is how I did mine and it works fine.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply. yeah its a regal turbo ls swap. i was going to use the stock starter wire to trip a relay for grounding the y/bk in the truck fuse block then steal the wire to pin a fan relay. does this sound kosher?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you're using the truck fuse block? Yea, that should work. I would just check and see what that circuit is rated for. Sure, it operates the starter solenoid, but only for a very short time. I know some of those fans can pull a lot of amps, and of course, run for a while. But yea, if that's all isolated to just the fuse box, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
thanks for the reply. yeah its a regal turbo ls swap. i was going to use the stock starter wire to trip a relay for grounding the y/bk in the truck fuse block then steal the wire to pin a fan relay. does this sound kosher?