LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Have a problem with my LT1 car

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a problem with my LT1 car

I have a 94 camaro i just bought and fixed up to have as a toy. When i got it together the car runs for a good 5 to 10 min then just shuts off like someone turned the key off. I have a brand new starter brand new battery and a brand new thermostat. I took the ignition module off and tested it and it but it didnt have any grease on it so i put some on and put it back on. Im tearing the front end apart because my electric water pump seems to be leaking( im in need of one so if anybody has one for sale let me know) but i still cant figure out why it just keeps shutting off. The car never gets hot. It stays at 190 degrees the whole time. It runs great i dont believe anything is wrong with the motor since it was just recently built. The best way i can put it when i start it up is it seems like its carburated but its not lol it kinda misses or doesnt idle right. Im in the thinking off its my distributor(optispark system), something to do with my security, or coil wires for the distributor. If anyone has some feedback let me know I would love to get this car running right.
Thanks a lot!!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the water pump is leaking on the opti that will do it. Fix the leak then try it out.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks Ive got the front torn apart to change the water pump. Should i check the opti or is there a way to before i put it together and try it out? Could it be ruined already?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

That I don't know and thus is the fun with opti's. Sometimes they dry out and work fine others thier shot so I would look at the millage this opti has on it and look at my bank account and ask my self if I really want to take it back apart again and see what would be in my best intrest.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

why would you need to tear the whole front apart to replace an electric water pump? i have a Meziere HD and only have to move the fans out of the way a little bit
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BAD94Z
Thanks Ive got the front torn apart to change the water pump. Should i check the opti or is there a way to before i put it together and try it out? Could it be ruined already?
It could possibly be going bad already but you MIGHT be able to get away with just cleaning it and letting it dry out
Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by StangeatinZ28
It could possibly be going bad already but you MIGHT be able to get away with just cleaning it and letting it dry out
Alright I will try that thanks for the reply. oh and yeah i didnt mean literally tear it all apart all i took out was the fans i worded that wrong thats my bad.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by jaycenk
That I don't know and thus is the fun with opti's. Sometimes they dry out and work fine others thier shot so I would look at the millage this opti has on it and look at my bank account and ask my self if I really want to take it back apart again and see what would be in my best intrest.
Yes defiantly the bank account has a big play in it ha
Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Tore it all down to the opti. Water pump wasnt damaged at all but didnt have a gaset on it?? got the water pump housing off and the gasets were bad so im guessing it was leaking from there to. Got to the opti and took the face off of it and it looked great no damage wasnt wet but on the rotor part it was missing one of the scews and was wiggly. Sounds like the opti is still good tho but is there a way i can test if its doing what it needs to be doin? Should I check the pickup coil and pickup module? or can you check those?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1BAD94Z
Tore it all down to the opti. Water pump wasnt damaged at all but didnt have a gaset on it?? got the water pump housing off and the gasets were bad so im guessing it was leaking from there to. Got to the opti and took the face off of it and it looked great no damage wasnt wet but on the rotor part it was missing one of the scews and was wiggly. Sounds like the opti is still good tho but is there a way i can test if its doing what it needs to be doin? Should I check the pickup coil and pickup module? or can you check those?
We sell a cap and rotor kit for $28 shipped. Give it a whirl. I can't imagine your unit performing that well missing one screw, besides where would that screw even have went besides IN the unit?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
We sell a cap and rotor kit for $28 shipped. Give it a whirl. I can't imagine your unit performing that well missing one screw, besides where would that screw even have went besides IN the unit?
The screw was laying in the unit on the bottom right by the rotor but the other screw was still in it
Old 10-15-2010, 05:46 PM

I dont know whether to put the screw back in and put everything back in with brand new gaskets or check the module and pickup coil first. Any advice?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Think you found your problem and I would say it may be time to replace the opti? just my thoughts but seeing that the screw was out and inside floating around the unit it could have F'd up the optical sensor??? Causing the car to stop running??? again a flat out thought of mine but you could always try hooking the opti up to a drill some how( don't put the chuck on the opti shaft) and check the signals to make sure it works. I have not tried this but I think it may be possible. Again a lot of work to get in there and change the damn thing again.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Alright I will try that. I was talking to somebody today about it and they said it sounds like to them the module is gettin hot and shutting the car off. Im gunna take a look at it and see if i cant decide what part is the module...
Old 10-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Im going to put the screw back into the rotor. Put on new plug wires. Get all new gaskets and put everything back together to see if the screw and the leaking was the problem. If anybody disagree's please tell me what you would do in my position.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

you can test the coil. I think you can test the modual as well so I would do those first and then with that opti you know where I stand but lock tight those screews. It's a common problem.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaycenk
you can test the coil. I think you can test the modual as well so I would do those first and then with that opti you know where I stand but lock tight those screews. It's a common problem.
How do you test the coil and the module?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Launching!

if you have a repair manual it will tell you test ohms though which is electric moves through . i believe last time i did one between .9-1.2 is acceptable .. correct me if im wrong
Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will it start right back up once it shuts off? Usually if a coil is getting hot it will take a little bit for it to start back up....

If you are already to the opti you may as well replace it....seems that there are a lot of guys using Chandler optis with success..... And they are pretty inexpensive....
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Here, First is an Opti signal test and the second is a coil test. I don't know about the ICM as I said above but if you search around this site or the web you may find one. I found these in a few min.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Quick Reply: Have a problem with my LT1 car