Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install Parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header Install Parts

All,
Fixing to do my first header install on a 2002 SS M6 vert with stock exhaust and a LM1...Purchased the headers and catted Y from a forum member but they didn't come with anything else besides the pipes themselves. My question is, what all parts do I need to complete this? I am planning on going to the Chevy dealer this week to pick up a couple of new steel gaskets and a new set of header bolts - is there anything more that I absolutely need (clamps, blockoff plates, O2 extensions, etc) to get the job done this weekend?

Thanks!

Tommy
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plug and play 02 extensions, band clamps to the headers/ y-pipe, and band clamp to the y-pipe/ catback. I reused my stock header gaskets. When I deleted my air system I went to Home Depot to buy a rubber plug to plug the hole in the side of the lid. I also used some gorilla glue to plug a vaccum line way back under the cowl toward the back of the intake manifold. I also reused the stock bolts which turned out to be too long and were bottoming out! I had to take them all out and go buy shorter bolts with washers to go with them. I used electrical tape to tape up the rear 02's up under the body. You might need a can of penetrating lube to soak the stock exhaust bolts in so it's easier to remove the hardware the next day. Also got a mail order tune to delete my rear 02's so the check engine light won't come on.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT use paper / cardboard gaskets, these come with pacesetters and will just blow out. if your old ones are in need of replacing, use metal ones. o2 extensions yes, check your sensors too, band clamps never gave me a good seal so i went with u clamps, dont over tighten as itl pinch the pipes. for a perfect seal use tinfoil bt the pipes and / or some high temp silicone. deleting air / egr is up to you, and there are plenty of write ups, plus a plug for the top of the intake. the bolts i have no idea what blue knights talking about... and dyno tune if you can. i recommend locking header bolts as ive lost a couple, somehow they back out. and you may have to trim a small metal nib on the drivers side of the block. you will need to get the car up really high, i had the rear up on ramps and the front WAY up on jackstands. good luck!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things you might not absolutely need, but I would do
locking header bolts, poly motor mounts if they are LT's, plugs and wires.