Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 Opinions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 Opinions Thread

Just looking at getting some insight on others experiences. I'm looking at picking up an '01 Silverado with the LM7 platform in it. Currently the chassis has roughly ~150k on it so here are my questions for those that have owned vehicles with the platform.

1)How many miles did you get out of your motor before replacement/rebuild or if you are still running the original, how many miles do you currently have on it?
2)Problems, common or not
3)Would you purchase it again?

I know I can pick up used engines for a respectable amount and many of the parts are interchangeable as well as widely available. I just don't want to have to sink any money other than routine maintenance in it any time soon so I wanted to see what type of lifespan others have gotten out of yours. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the 4.8 in my dd truck has round 308k miles. i removed it and stored it few yrs. ago and dropped in a upgraded 5.3 which had round 200k miles. i pulled the 5.3 and dropped the 4.8 back .
currently the 4.8 is just as strong as any well maintained motor. still has stock wp.wp never been removed since engine was new. has 60psi oil psi. doesnt burn much oil if any. gets around 23mpg. on 87 octane. runs strong with just a cai and tune. all stock exhaust
cant ask for more than that from a basic engine.

for my race project im building a stock bottome end 4.8 and plan on pumping up to psig thru it. thats how much i trust em.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you keep up with the usual tune up, oil changes, and other maintenance you should be good for a while. It also depends on how you drive it, like a maniac or regular driving.