Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

world of a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default world of a difference!

Damn I love the msd coils but they were giving me hell!
I just had my car tuned 2 weeks ago and the car was running rough. I had things I needed to fix before I took it back so they could do the full tune. Well, I had these coils on my 01' Z28 and had the same issues. I installed them in my now 00' ws6 and had the same issues but never knew It was the coils till today. I drove the car for about 200 miles back and forth to work int he last 2 weeks and it got me thinking that these same issues were on my 01 z28. SO, I though to myself what the hell is the problem... I pulled the coils off and I had a stock set from a friend of mines and installed them. WOW! Night and day difference! It feels like the car has another 100hp!. The car would bogg on me and turn off occasionally at stops. It would vibrate alot and I thought it was the stock fuel pump not strong enough for the motor since it is a forged 346 and my tunning shop recommended I get a walbro 255lph. The reason for the walbro is because when they would go w.o.t on the dyno the fuel pressure drops down to 20psi. I will be ordering the walbro either way but thought I would share my experience. I am going to do an ohms test on the coils to see which one is low and replace it. I love the msd's and with a little dwell adjustment they work perfect. Time to start testing them!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read they don't last long. Not sure what to tell ya.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

It's very hard to beat the stock coils. The MSD coils have had reliability issues from the start and has been pretty well documented here on LS1tech.

Dump the MSD coils and go back to stock.

Swapping to the GM truck coils with the heat sinks has shown some improvements to some people but it's not a plug and play as the brackets and plugs/harnesses are different. To get their full potential, you'll need truck dwell tunings.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

I have had these for over 4 years and haven't given me a problem since I started to sell the 01 z28, which was the middle of this year. They have lasted me a long time but this was the first issue I have had with them. They perform as well as the stockers imo. I also have them to give the underhood a little bit of color. I will be keeping them and installing them back on as soon as I find out which one is the bad one. I see alot of people paint the stock coils red and it looks like ***.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

How do you love something that's a pain in your *** AND cost you money and it has no benefit?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, if I don't see a solid gain for the price, I won't buy it.

Granted the MSD units may have their benefit and in your position, I'd hang on to them as well. I mean, the money is pretty much already spent for them.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
How do you love something that's a pain in your *** AND cost you money and it has no benefit?
SO you don't love your car? There is no benefit in throwing money into a car. Unless you are buying and selling. You never get your money back after modding a car. SO there is no benefit..... My car is a pain in the *** and I still love it! You may have different views.
Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Granted the MSD units may have their benefit and in your position, I'd hang on to them as well. I mean, the money is pretty much already spent for them.
X2.. thank you sir! Well put!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

No they aren't money well spent, they are garbage. And comparing an entire car to a useless expensive mod aint even the same thing dude.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No they aren't money well spent, they are garbage.

+1

OP, do some research. We prefer truck coils or D585's to even the stock LS1 coils. Although, stock LS1 coils are good enough & are more reliable than MSD's. Personally, I use D585's on all of our LSX engines @ truck coil charge time specs. Many of us have experience better idle quality this way & testing has shown stronger spark @ high RPM's.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

No they aren't money well spent, they are garbage. And comparing an entire car to a useless expensive mod aint even the same thing dude.
It's all the same thing.. If you can't afford it it's a different thing. It's not a mod either... I didn't just buy them because I wanted better performance, it was for the bling factor under the hood aswell. Stock coils are so boring looking that everyone starts to pain them red. Like I said above.. 4years and this is the first issue. I would rather have my under hood looking good and have only one issue in four years than have painted stockers or truck coils on them..
Originally Posted by LS1-450
+1

OP, do some research. We prefer truck coils or D585's to even the stock LS1 coils. Although, stock LS1 coils are good enough & are more reliable than MSD's. Personally, I use D585's on all of our LSX engines @ truck coil charge time specs. Many of us have experience better idle quality this way & testing has shown stronger spark @ high RPM's.
I did do research before I bought them and this was 4 years ago. My car is not a full race car, so no need to start putting truck parts on it because I want to be two tenths faster at the track.

I see alot of guys who get on the band wagon on this site who have never tried the part but yet read about it and agree. 1 problem in 4 years is awesome to me. You might never have problems with the ugly truck coils but my underhood will look alot better.

But let me guess... You guys did try them... Yeah..... right. Thanks for the comments though guys. I was just sharing my experience and I will keep saying this over and over.... 1 problem in 4 years from the msd coils is great. It is worth it to me. Don't just jump on someone's band wagon until you have tried them yourself. Nuf said. Oh... if the "mod" isn't worth the money to you then it's not the "mod" you don't like... it's the fact that you can't afford it so you buy red spray paint.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Very well then. I suppose four years out of those coils is pretty good considering they're track record here.

I agree, many here jump on the band wagon without doing the wrench turning themselves. I for one did the truck coil swap and started a pretty long thread which includes a detailed write-up. Most things I comment on are from experiances with a LT1 and LS1 car.

While bling is nice I think most here place performance gains under the hood before looks.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us don't care what our car looks like under the hood, as long as it's clean. We just care about performance and reliability, which is why most of us don't see it the same way. In your case, however, the MSD coils seem like a good choice since you have a show car I guess. I don't have my hood open except to work on the car, but if you're showing your car off a lot then it's a different story. Different strokes for different folks
Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you were worried about underhood appearance you woulda done coil pack relocation.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

MSD coils have a poor track record when compared to the stock GM coils...I relocated mine so that they do not show...my stock coils are 10 years old with 221,000 + miles on them .. car is a DD heads/cam all the bolt ons making 452/418 ... outside of being a pretty red color the MSD coils are pretty much money wasted when it comes to preformance and reliability..
Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

If you were worried about underhood appearance you woulda done coil pack relocation.
Why hide the coils... if they are pretty in red. lol! I don't get my butt hurt this is just a forum to talk about cars. I hope you don;t take this very seriously to hold a grudge. We are all here for the same thing bud.
Originally Posted by X-ray
Most of us don't care what our car looks like under the hood, as long as it's clean. We just care about performance and reliability, which is why most of us don't see it the same way. In your case, however, the MSD coils seem like a good choice since you have a show car I guess. I don't have my hood open except to work on the car, but if you're showing your car off a lot then it's a different story. Different strokes for different folks
Thanks you sir! Different strokes for different folks

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Very well then. I suppose four years out of those coils is pretty good considering they're track record here.

I agree, many here jump on the band wagon without doing the wrench turning themselves. I for one did the truck coil swap and started a pretty long thread which includes a detailed write-up. Most things I comment on are from experiances with a LT1 and LS1 car.

While bling is nice I think most here place performance gains under the hood before looks.
Alot of guys here have both performance and looks. Why have a dirty underhood, hacked up wiring, dirty air filters. oil spills everywhere etc etc... we can have both worlds. Thanks alot for not being a nutswinger. You actually do the research and wrench time yourself which is rare on this board. I am all for doing things for myself, you live and learn. We need more leaders and less followers.
Originally Posted by slt200mph
MSD coils have a poor track record when compared to the stock GM coils...I relocated mine so that they do not show...my stock coils are 10 years old with 221,000 + miles on them .. car is a DD heads/cam all the bolt ons making 452/418 ... outside of being a pretty red color the MSD coils are pretty much money wasted when it comes to preformance and reliability..
I agree that the stock coils will outlive the msd coils.. I even said that in a post above. I will take pics before and after the coil swap so you guys can see the diffference.

For everyone on this thread.. don't get butt hurt about my comments it is just a good'ol argument. I have been very entertained and I honestly could not wait to get home to see the responses on this thread. Thanks to everyone for commenting!