Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which mounts are good and which mounts are bad...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which mounts are good and which mounts are bad...

Ive heard a lot of good and bad about different sbc to ls conversion mounts. I came across drawings for two different ones but heard they arent very good so now im thinking about buying some. I was hoping to get some input on different mounts people tried and what their experiences were with those mounts. If anyone else has any drawings, that would be much appreciate too. If i end up building or buying some that work out good, ill draw them up i CAD and share them. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Launching!

buy a set on ebay with a money back guarantee. Trace them or get the images then return them.

A place to start.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is not much to them. .basic layouts. What body and transmission are you going to swap into ?

I built my plates at home with basic hand and power tools.. took a few hours. and done. My 1st set was 1/4" Steel, Early BRP style for my Chevelle. 2nd set for my Nova was from 1/2" alum that are clones of 1" set back (like Edelbrock). The template in the FAQ was good enough to give me the basic layout.

I think the most common ones to use is the 1" setback and the the standard style. This being due to the Transmission relaction factors..(shifter, x-member, drive shaft).

What you really need to consider is the Oil Pan you want to ues and the Accessories. the research and build around those two items which are key to being successful on a painless conversion.

You have a few basic style to work with the templates in the FAQ (not the 1" setback tho):
a) Standard (S&P, ATS, Hooker, Car shop, etc), will have to relacate Trans forward to meet the engine Flange. Oil pan usually is a concern, notching or aftermarket.
b) 1" set back (again, many of the same vendors and manufactors). Moves the Engine back to meet the Trans/Bellhoust flange. might be able to use oem pans, but need to consider how low the sump will hang.
c) Early BRP Style - more of a roll you own due to moving the Frame Stands to where you need the engine to be located. Might be able to use most OEM pans, but have to consider lower sump again.

Good Luck..

BC
Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Teching In

My application is a little weird. I currently have sbc in a ford ranger. The firewall is cut out and pushed back 12". I'm trying to find some mounts that will put the ls motor right where my small block is so that I can just bolt it up to the TH400. I found a set of mounts on ebay for $60 shipped and they even come with hardware. Well worth me not having to get the tools out and spending the time making them. They look like the standard S&P ones and are just a flat plate with 7 holes in them but they say they are for a 57 Chevy. Currently I have the stamped steel clamshell mounts and they bolt to custom mounts made with the standard 2" round tubing/ steel sleeved poly bushings. With those S&P style mounts, do I just bolt my clamshell to the adapter and the adapter to the ls motor?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 AM
Teching In

nothin?